MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How to begin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to begin?
Hello

I have been reading about the forum and reading about Bates and eyesight improvement for a while, but never really got started.
Initially I bought ''Vision for Life'' eye exercise pack (for $80) about 2 1/2 years ago, but I never managed to use it for over a week at a stretch.  So it didn't help at all.  Now after reading around, it seems that these 'exercises' have minimal benefit, as Bates is all about relaxation.

I am 16, and my eyesight is terrible.  I think, ATM, it is:
-7.50 and -8.00 (and astigmatism...)  ( 20/1000 or worse...)

So, I am pretty desperate to improve it maybe up to -6D if not better, and stop it from dropping.  Perfect eyesight, I am fully aware, is completely out of scope unless I stick religiously for 20 years...
I am out of school over the holidays, so I can stay with low power glasses (I have various ones from the past), or even without glasses (which would be very very difficult for a few days - as I may have to go out).

Can anyone help me to get started? What should I do/start off with? Is there a suggested beginners 'routine'?

Thanks
Hi alpha,

Welcome! First question - Where did you hear it'll take you 20 years??

Read Bates's book and some of the Method of the Month postings here.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
David Wrote:Hi alpha,

Welcome! First question - Where did you hear it'll take you 20 years??

Read Bates's book and some of the Method of the Month postings here.

David

I estimated 20 years  Tongue

I will have a read through the book and the sections.  Any ''easy'' methods I should try out first - which dont require as much control over relaxation? It will probably be easier for me to start off that way.

I am using the computer, wearing +2.5D glasses on top of my normal ones, and am using the 'swinging Windows' program.  Also using a LCD screen to minimise strain.  I do a lot of work on the PC (need to do a lot of reading online etc), so any other suggestions will help.
spend more time outdoors
Otter Wrote:spend more time outdoors

What exactly does ''outdoors'' mean?
As in quiet nature places. or generally. outside the house in natural light?
I spend time outside the house in natural light.  It helps a bit.
Ciao Alpha,

Welcome to the Imagination Blindness community!

Quote:Can anyone help me to get started? What should I do/start off with?

Your foremost priorities lie in reading two of the original books, firstly by the pioneer of the genius System himself, Dr. Bates, and to follow the simplified but enlightening book by his wife, Emily. Therefore, firstly you must journey through the first and main book, 'The Cure of Imperfect Sight Without Glasses', spending time extracting what meaning you can of the principles of the Original System by carefully studying this book. For this I will offer a few suggestions which I believe may help you get the most out of your time spent reading these books;

I recommend selectively re-reading some of the more important chapters in subsequence to your first reading, and I believe that 'Central Fixation' being of the highest should be especially attended to with an open mind. Draw from his words whatever you can, but do not fret if you are unable to understand everything at a first reading.

In fact, I doubt anyone with imperfect sight will be able to 'see' =) what Bates is getting at on a first reading, therefore do not worry yourself - on subsequent re-readings and by demonstrating the principles contained within the book, you will slowly find yourself coming into light of the facts entailed. Especially, after you have achieved frequent clear flashes and sustained improvement in eyesight, you will find the light of his words soon dawning on you. (Ex.'Oh... of course, so that's what he meant by 'universal swing'!')

Above all, keep an open mind on the first reading. You will find The Cure of Imperfect Sight Without Glasses on various internet websites, such as imagination blindness here, or on various others. You should avoid buying the corrupted and distorted edition 'Better Eyesight Without Glasses', published after the death of Bates in 1931, which is far more commonly found among bookstores. In fact, I recommend avoiding any book which was published after the death of Bates, which not only distort the Original System but are often less far less efficient and, from my very own experience, a bit of a waste of time. As a general rule, the farther away from the time of the original books, the further the distortions. Right then, I think I have blathered quite enough telling you about the how to read the book, so here is a link so that you can actually read the book before you go any further;

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Perfect_Sight_Without_Glasses">http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Perfect_S ... ut_Glasses</a><!-- m -->

If, however, you are still having great difficulty comprehending the book (an excusable plight with the slightly older and at times difficult style of English used) , do not worry and move onto the the next book without further dawdling around. This book has detailed in an admirable utmost of simplicity, the principles required for the attainment of Perfect Sight. I am sure you will find great wisdom from it and hope you gain deeper insights.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/stories.htm">http://www.central-fixation.com/stories.htm</a><!-- m -->

To summarize, the suggested plan is to begin as follows:

. Read the original Bates book - Titled 'The Cure of Imperfect Sight Without Glasses', or may be found as 'Perfect Sight Without Glasses'. 2. Read the Emily book - Titled as 'Stories from the Clinic', see the link provided above. Do not worry if at this point you still don't understand entirely the 'Cure Process, for it will come to you naturally as you progress and demonstrate to yourself the principles as detailed in these books.

Quote:I will have a read through the book and the sections.  Any ''easy'' methods I should try out first - which dont require as much control over relaxation?

"Easy" methods? They will all become easy as you demonstrate the principles detailed in the book.

Quote:Perfect eyesight, I am fully aware, is completely out of scope unless I stick religiously for 20 years...

It isn't going to take that long, buddy. Dr. Bates was able, in his time, to cure people of far worse condition than yours, often in as little as only three weeks. There is no reason that you should not be cured in just as short a time, if you show intelligence and follow the principles with diligence. Dispel these ideas from your head, and do not dishearten yourself with such illusive thoughts again.Your goal isn't to simply 'improve', but to be cured.

Quote:Initially I bought ''Vision for Life'' eye exercise pack (for $80) about 2 1/2 years ago, but I never managed to use it for over a week at a stretch.  So it didn't help at all.  Now after reading around, it seems that these 'exercises' have minimal benefit

Disregard that crap.

I wish you the best of luck,

- Kaze

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now