MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Dodging Your Eyesight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodging Your Eyesight
I'd like to share my recent thoughts about how to make the habit of relaxed vision permanent. I've written a blog post about it titled "Dodging Your Eyesight": <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://krupnov.blogspot.com/">http://krupnov.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
I just read it, that was awesome!!! ;D I really appreciate the work you've put into your blog, Oleg! Smile

Dodging has been one of my main techniques lately, but it's just really tricky to get myself to remember it all the time, LOL! I've read about dodging in the September 1923 issue of the Better Eyesight Magazine and it really seems like a core part of the Bates method.

I have a cool little story to tell about the memory of a period. It happened about 2 days ago I think. The memory/imagination of a black dot is actually my main favorite technique but I don't practice it much because it takes a lot of relaxation to obtain, therefore I usually spend a lot of time on other methods prior to practicing it. So I was practicing things like the long swing, shifting/swinging/dodging, a little palming I think, and especially central fixation on various objects, including a large black dot that is above my Snellen chart, seeing blackest one part of the period and other parts not as good. I have my Snellen chart up on my fridge, and above the fridge there are a bunch of white cabinet doors that are like a resting place for my eyes when playing with the Snellen chart, etc. It's like when Bates talks about looking at a blank wall without trying to see, and doing this is relaxing and actually improves my memory and imagination.

Anyway, I stood 10 feet in front of the Snellen and immediately looked at a blank white cabinet above the chart. Then I remembered the black period that I was looking at earlier, one part best, as well as I could. Then I looked at the big 200 letter "S" on the chart and imagined that I saw the period as forming the top of the letter and imagined that it was moving from side to side. Then I looked back at the white surface again and imagined the black period perfectly. Then I told myself that I wouldn't pay any attention to what I saw and that I would JUST pay attention to the memory of the black dot, while looking nearer and nearer to the chart.

Finally I was looking straight at the Snellen, and to my surprise, I couldn't help but notice that it was gradually getting clearer and clearer. Then the whole thing brightened up and appeared more perfect that I'd EVER seen it before! I looked down further and further at the smallest letters (which were still almost crystal clear) and if I'd looked at it for a little longer, I would have easily read the 10 line at 10 feet! (However I immediately looked away after that, because it was almost shocking, LOL!)

(My vision is a lot worse than yours, it's like 20/400, because usually when I read the chart from 10 feet, I can just make out a very blurry "S", and sometimes I have to step up even closer that 10 feet in order to make it out.)

BTW, I usually save the memory of a black dot as a special treat for me when I'm sufficiently relaxed, so that I don't contaminate it with strain. Big Grin
Wow Jason, I can really relate to what you said in the last sentence.

I know what you mean, like saving the period as a 'last treat' so to avoid contaminating it with strain ;D. That's exactly the same thing as what I do as well.
Hi Oleg.K,

Curious about how did you cope without glasses for the past year, considering your eyesight is not exactly mild myopia. I myself have problem using computer without glasses(need to adjust to supersize fonts and still stick my nose close to the computer). Also, when commuting, I was also unable to see the bus number properly. Needless to say, I am one of those unfortunate people who have to  wear glasses at work while rest days are the only time where I can leave my glasses off.

Feel like my progress is one step forward and 1/2 a step backwards. So far obtained very minimum success with relaxation.

:-\
Petal
It's OK Petal, don't give up.

As for the glasses, I myself need to put it on for some occassion. But then I make a habit of 'removing' my glasses and hang them above my forehead, like u know how some ppl would put their sunshades for style, whenever I feel I don't really need 'em. I hope that would work for you.

Keep going Smile
How to you do the exercise that was listed in the blog?  The one where do try to dodge the dot?

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now