MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
I got snellen...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got snellen...
well let's just say that it again wasn't as bad as i expected Smile

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lpf.com/source/rk/20something.html">http://www.lpf.com/source/rk/20something.html</a><!-- m -->

As per the above link, i'd have snellen readings of about 20/400 (now i remember my last prescription was about 4 on each eyes in march 2006, and i could've gotten worse Sad )  That's a very depressing number

I couldn't find a good snellen chart around to use so i just used the online link that Otis provided.  Turned out that it wasn't that bad... 

On both eyes together, i can see about 20/100 to 20/200, couldn't check20/50 because my room isn't that large :/  but i don't think i'll be able to see that much anyways.  The right eye is about the same, maybe a little worse than both using both eyes together.  But it's not that noticeble on the eyechart, just to my self.

My left eye tho, is really bad.  I can read about 20/200 half of the time, and 20/400 almost 100% of the time... Sad  but i believe that my left eye doesn't see that bad because of pure myopia alone, but i have bad astigmatism on that eye as well.  When i got my glasses the eye doctor didn't even tell me that i have that, but i checked my eye glasses prescriptions yesterday and it's on there (because i suspected it was so), Myopia and Astigmatism.    I don't think my right eye has any, maybe just a tiny little bit, my left eyes are really bad.  If you look on wikipedia, it's more like the one on the lower left one when i'm reading, only to much a greater degree.  When my eye is tired, and if i tried to read just with my left eye to see how it is, it's like reading with the top half of the letters duplicated above them and the lower half dupped under them.  So it's like the same letters with twice the height but only the letters are stretched, but rather "folded" maybe...  When my eyes aren’t tired (maybe in the morning or the beginning of the day) the shadow effect was minimal however, and sometimes when the shadow show up sometimes in 1 blink the shadow would be gone for a second and it’s just as if I’m seeing with the right eye.

When i tries to check my left eye on the online snellen, it's more of a horizontal or a mix focus error, and i can see half of the time because sometimes i'm able to use the shadow to help me.  at 400 tho i can see 100% even with the shadows interfering me.

While reading and using both of my eyes, it just feels that light isn't distributed evenly among the letters on a line, mostly with the top and bottom half much lighter than the other parts.  If i just use my right eye alone to read then it feels "normal."  However, I noticed that when I consciously try to look at further objects, with my eye alone agi would show up as well. Not texts (letters), just things/objects that’s showing a little bit of shadowing. 

Left eye, while reading, is kind of the same.  Within a certain distance from the book, those shadows will never show up.  However past that point as I move further and further from the book the shadow will be worse until a maximum point where the text becomes completely blurred..
So what I conclude is that my astigmatism on both my eyes is connected to my myopia’s “blur distance� point. 

(Please don’t think I’m dumb to post somethings lolz, I don’t know much about the eyes and the eye doctor never tells me anything…)

So yea, I have my snellen, with 20/300 left and 20/150 right average, left probably affect by astigmatisim, anything that I can do specifically now? 

Also I’ve seen most of the snellen charts ends with a 20/200 sized letter on the top.  So how am I suppose to “read it� everything to check my vision, practice centralization, and improve eyesight?  I can’t be reading the same big blurry letter on the top of the chart everyday?  Is there a special chart for people with worse myopia like me? Or am I suppose to be trying to read the 20/100 line at 10 feet, would that be the same as reading the 20/200 at 20 feet?

That’s it.  Long ~~ 

Thank you all
Yeah, just lower the distance from snellen to you and begin the practice.

But even if you did practice on one letter continuously, it wouldn't matter. Central fixation depends on what you see and not on the size of what exists physically in the external stimulus. You can see with central fixation no matter how big the letter itself.

So you can practice shifting on that one letter for like 30 minutes nonstop, and it wouldn't matter so long as you did it restfully without strain.

The only reason I would say not to keep practicing on one letter is that if you get bored of it, which you might. Boredem could turn the letter into a pessium, if you know what I mean. So in that case then you could lessen the distance and practice with the other letters; the letters which interest you.

Or, have you tried the flashing cure? Alternating imagining the letter with your eyes closed, or with palming if it helps you to imagine and achieve mental rest, and with looking at the actual letter on the wall; So you could in this way, improve your sight by swinging and shifting with mental pictures, and then with the real thing. Since your mind has no limits (I mean, not limited and inhibited by your eye at all, only by your skill in imagination and memory) it may be that you find this practice very effective, and helpful to transferring the same skill and applying it in the real actual external picture.

Quote:would that be the same as reading the 20/200 at 20 feet?

It wouldn't be the same, as in same measurement; but it would be the same as in terms of improvement. Distance doesn't matter, you just practice whatever gives you the nicest mental rest. If it works better at 10 ft, then do it there. Bates said to experiment with distances and see which one is the most effective practice; some were most benefited by practice at 10, some at 15, and others at 20 ft. For some the optimum distance changes as they progress. Whatever gets you there gets you there, you know what I'm saying?
Dear Xud,

Subject:  The first step complete.

Quote:On both eyes together, i can see about 20/100 to 20/200, couldn't check20/50 because my room isn't that large :/  but i don't think i'll be able to see that much anyways.  The right eye is about the same, maybe a little worse than both using both eyes together.  But it's not that noticeble on the eyechart, just to my self.

I think that you now have a base-line for clearing your
vision (improvement).

The IVAC Snellen can be set for 10 feet -- just type in
the distance in the upper left hand corner.

The size of the letters will be changed accordingly.

Now you can practice palming, sunning, and swinging,
and confirm the results on your own Snellen.

Good luck on your vision-clearing work.  There are
a great many people here who will help you
clear your vision with their support.

Best,

Otis
I have a question about Snellen charts.  I printed one off the internet and posted it on my wall.  I can only get a max of 10 feet away from it (size of room doesn't allow more).  If I can see the line that says 13ft, does that mean I see at 10/13?  Also, is that equivalent to 20/26?  Thanks for your help.

lizzy
It does mean you can see at 10/13, but it doesn't mean you can see the same at 20/13.

Distance is distance, and if you are short-sighted then it means you have worse distance vision; so simply reading bigger size letters is not equivalent to a better acuity. Although even if it's not equivalent, there would be quite a strong correlation. I mean if you saw at 10/400, chances are you won't be able to read the snellen at 20/50. Actually now I think of it, I asked this same question a while back, take a look there:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/topic,390.0.html">http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.p ... 390.0.html</a><!-- m -->

EDIT: Wow I just realized posters have the ability to delete their own topics, or to lock them!
Thank you, that link was very helpful.  I think I will find somewhere that I can get 20ft of space, seems like the most accurate way to go.  Thanks again.

Lizzy
Don't worry about measurement accuracy; just read with the snellen with the goal of resting your mental state and your eyes, thereby improving sight.
Dear Lizzy,

Subject:  Snellen chart at 10 feet.

Quote:I have a question about Snellen charts.  I printed one off the internet and posted it on my wall.  I can only get a max of 10 feet away from it (size of room doesn't allow more).  If I can see the line that says 13ft, does that mean I see at 10/13?  Also, is that equivalent to 20/26?  Thanks for your help.  lizzy

The Snellen is intended to be read at 20 feet.  20/20 means
reading 3/8 inch letters at 20 feet.  20/40 means
reading 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet.

The 20/60 line has 1 inch letters at 20 feet.

If you have a chart that say 10 feet, then all letters
would be 1/2 the size stated above.

Or 20/60 would be letters 1/2 inch high.

The 10 foot chart is reasonably accurate for most
of our purposes.  Just check to make certain that the
size is correct.

Best,

Otis
Hi Lizzy,
if you read the 20 line at 10 feet (10/20) it doesn't necessarily mean that you can read the 40 line at 20 feet (20/40).  Usually you see better the closer you are to the eyechart, it's actually an exponential relationship for myopics.  The closer you are to the eye chart, the better your eyesight gets. 
If myopia is the only problem you have, then there is a certain distance that you can see everything perfectly (provided that you aren't too nearsighted), no matter how small it is.  So I can read 1 foot line at 1 feet (extremely small), doesn't mean I am 20/20. 

Having said that, 10 feet and 20 feet doesn't offer too much difference for myopes.  So I would say you can make the 10/15 --> 20/30 conversion with very little error (maybe 10/15-->20/35)

For the most part, it doesn't matter how close you read the letters.  If you want to monitor improvement, keep it consistent.  If you want to practice eyechart techniques, then find a distance at which half the letters are blurry.  The world has adapted 20 feet as the standard, but you don't have to adhere to that.

Hope that helped!
Paul
Or even use the chart as close as you want to, standing just a foot away and reaching out to hold the chart in your hands if necessary. It doesn't make sense to you now why you would practice with it so close if your goal is to improve distance vision, but it will make more sense when your vision improves.

This is because, in a way, practically speaking, there is no such thing as distance. When you see sharper closer up or at whatever particular distance, distance is really a messed up and uncomfortable idea that you have in your head much more than anything else.  It isn't something you have to chop away at. When your eyes are allowed to work normally, when you stop straining them, distance doesn't matter. Things get smaller and eventually at a great distance you just aren't capable of seeing enough details, but for most distances, for most purposes, practically speaking, distance does not matter as much as you think it does, because your eyes are fully capable of focusing near and far. The only significant factor is how you use your eyes and think about your vision.

David
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Thanks. 

I guess i'll get an eyechart now.  Does it matter much if you print one off a website or buy a (laminated) one?

Also when i look at the eyecharts should i "try" to see or is any effort to try straining? (Which then would mean that i'm just going down to whatever i can see with almost 100% clarity instead of which one that i can "really" see? )

Big Grin
Hi,

Read down to the further line you can read without effort or trying to see.

Don't even make an effort to see letters you can't see. Trying to see will worsen the vision, learning to not try to see always sharpens the vision.
Dear Xudzh,

Quote:I guess I'll get an eyechart now.  Does it matter much if you print one off a website or buy a (laminated) one?

Why do that?  Here is a Snellen -- for free:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

Just click on "Display", and step back 20 feet and read it.
Or you can select 10 feet and use it that way.

Clicking on "Display" brings up new letters.  This is
better than any other chart.

Quote:Also when i look at the eyecharts should i "try" to see or is any effort to try straining? (Which then would mean that I'm just going down to whatever i can see with almost 100% clarity instead of which one that i can "really" see? )

No,  it takes no effort to see -- as Bates said.  When you read
1/2 the letters correctly,  you pass the line.
Don't "strain" or anything.

Give it a try.  You will then be able to see your own progress
yourself.

Best,

Otis
Yes the website is good but i can't click on Displaye or changing the size while 20 ft away, and if i click it first then i'd know the letters before i try to read them... Sad

But yea so now i know that i can go naturally on myself Smile
Oh, that doesn't matter if you already know the letters before you see them.

I mean, you know whether they're blurry or not whether you already know them or not.
Familiarity is actually good for your vision, and when the Snellen becomes an optimum it is a great benefit. When the snellen can be seen perfectly most all other objects can also be seen perfectly!

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now