MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
the shift and swing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the shift and swing
Joe asked about the shift and swing in the "introduce yourself" thread, so I'm making a new topic to deal with it.

When the eye is relaxed, it makes lots of shifts in rapid succession from one point to another, because the eyes are meant to be in constant motion. For the most part it's done unconsciously, and any attempt to keep track of one's own shifts defeats the purpose, bringing strain and locking the eyes.

There are lots of ways to practice it, but the most direct way to practice shifting is described in the "Method of the Month" forum. Trying to force the eyes to examine in detail a larger area than is possible to do at one time causes the eyes to slow the rate of shifting dramatically, freezing up in tension. The eyes can only work in one way, and any attempt to coerce the eyes or vision into working in a way it was not designed is an act of strain.

So basically the most direct way to practice shifting, as described in the above mentioned thread, involves looking from one point to another, easily and effortlessly (this is all about relaxation, not exertion), while teaching oneself that the point regarded is the only thing seen best, and that you have to shift directly to another point in order to see it best.

The swing is the effect produced by the shift or by a head movement that causes the visual field to move. Shift in one direction, and everything in the whole visual field appears to move in the opposite dierction. When the swing isn't apparent, it's an indication that you're locking up and not allowing the perception of movement. There are lots of ways to practice the swing, one of the most basic of which is the long swing.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Yes. Everything you said was correct. Only book I've read, Better Eyesight Without Glasses. Yes everything you said was whatever this book said. I do understand. Everything you said was similar to the book. Yes I've been doing shifting for a month and a half. Yes I have been doing shifting. Yes I saw the swing all the time. And NO it does not work. And NO my vision did not improve.
Hi Rockdude
I think, the fundamental 'mistake' in your eye training is, that you seem to believe:
"If I understand Bates and do some of the exercises described in his book - then clear vision will fall upon me from heaven..."

It wont work that way.
Vision doesn't improve once for all by swinging or shifting but only by changing your wrong seeing habits and doing things correctly. You can't expect your vision to be improved when you continue the same mistakes once you finished with the exercise....
You have to apply the the principles you learn while doing the execises in you 'seeing-practice' otherwise the execises can't give you any profit.

In my opinion, the fundamental thing you learn by swinging is to let go the attention clinging to a far too big area, as David wrote here:
Quote:If you narrow that area down sufficiently and expect your clearest vision to only come from that small area, it's a whole different story. You have to, in a sense, completely let go of your peripheral vision.
That's what you do when you swing and you experience how it feels in your eyes and your eyes get more relaxed.

But you can't stop there. If - at your next glance (after having finished your swingig) - your attention 'grabs' the whole peripheral field again and you lose your central focus, clear sight is simply impossible.

I suggest you read David's explanations (from whch I quoted) here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/davids-method/method-vision-improvement.php">http://www.iblindness.org/davids-method ... vement.php</a><!-- m -->
And also this blog post:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2496">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2496</a><!-- l -->
And then try again...
Good luck!
rockdude Wrote:Yes. Everything you said was correct. Only book I've read, Better Eyesight Without Glasses. Yes everything you said was whatever this book said. I do understand. Everything you said was similar to the book. Yes I've been doing shifting for a month and a half. Yes I have been doing shifting. Yes I saw the swing all the time. And NO it does not work. And NO my vision did not improve.

Your vision got blurred from one day to another? Mine don't. It took some years to stop at my current prescription which is -3.00.
Sorry,but with natural methods the winner of the race is the snail.
(deleted by moderator, user banned for derogatory namecalling towards another member)

(this moderator doesn't give warnings for things like this)

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now