MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Newbie - Early Observations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie - Early Observations
After reading around, I was surprised to see how many people have been working on improving their eyesight naturally (Bates method or other derived methods), both successful and in-progress. I decided I'd introduce myself.

Up until a week ago, I didn't even know vision therapy existed. I had first noticed my near-sightedness at an early age (like 6) when I couldn't read the depth numbers in the pool. I've been in glasses ever since, currently sitting at a -5.00 prescription, 18 year old senior in high school. My father also wears glasses; I don't know his prescription but I tried them on today and it was immediately painful. My problems with myopia probably stemmed from constant near-work in computer use (we're gamers). Played way too much Doom when I was little...

I want to join the Air Force after high school, and the job I'm most interested in is Pararescue. However, the job requires 20/70 uncorrected vision, and this led me to the internet searches that turned up Bates' and other eye exercises/vision therapy programs.

The first sites I turned up were the for-sale programs, like rebuildyourvision.com. Phobia/skepticism immediately kicked in, but I kept looking around and found this and other helpful, in-depth sites (i-see.org comes to mind). After reading through various articles and testimonies, it just made sense... glasses gave me headaches and result in steadily increased prescriptions (which are often over-prescribed, frequently mentioned).

It's been a very short time since I've started to try seeing without glasses. My first exercise was "Three Cups". At first it was a bit difficult to do, when the circles split it felt incredibly strange and alien to me. However, after a few minutes I started to put together the 3D cup view and now I can easily do it without the aid of another object to focus (and at distance too; I have one posted on my room door.) I also started to move my eyes a lot more, suddenly aware how little I actually move them with glasses on.

After reading these forums however, I've noticed that -relaxation- seems to be the main focus. Thinking about the process and exercises with relaxation in mind, I realized that the exercises should only be done maybe once as an example, to get the feeling of what it has done for you. I noticed I could see fairly well without the aid of my glasses, even to the point of reading text (school papers/books), but when I took notice I would lose it.

The eye/mind together do so much on their own, outside voluntary control. Exercises and aids simply provoke the unconscious behaviors that tend to be absent when a pair of Coke bottles is doing it for you.

A very interesting point brought up in another post was that the brain tends to better see "interesting" objects. It would make sense from a natural standpoint, as it would certainly be smarter to focus on the rattlesnake lashing out at you rather than the motionless rocks behind it. I think this explains why I can mostly play Call of Duty 4 without my glasses, but struggle with text. Wink

I'm going to wear my glasses only for computer/schoolwork, and spend the rest of my time seeing. When I notice the numbers on the bus or the teeth on the school mascot, I know it's working, and that I don't need to force it.
Welcom to Imagination Blindness.

The Bates methods (and other preventive methods) have a long history. They
include second-opinion optometrists and medical doctors like C. Prentice.

As you understand, these methods are most effective at the thrshold.

I consider the second-opinion to be a profound objection to the use of the
minus lens -- and think you should be informed of these methods
before that first minus lens is placed on your face.

But as Dave says, the majority-opinion optometrists have
"Imagination blindess" to see there professional responsibility
to you on this subject. ???

Let us know if we can help you. Smile

Otis
I'm sure the major cause of myopia nowadays is from kids reading/playing videogames without breaking to focus at different distances enough... it'd be so simple to tell kids: just look away for a little bit every ten minutes or so, but if everybody knew that it would put the minus lens out of business. :-\
Dear Uber Wee Fun Mode,

It is very easy to tell a child to get the nose off the book, i.e.., reading
at -10 diopters (4 inches).

It is quite another thing for the child to LISTEN to that type
of recommendation. The second-opinion ODs have made
this recommendation again and again -- but the kid
continues to read at that distance. ???

It would be like asking a kid to "cut" his calories and
go "exercise", when the kid is 30 percent overweight. Smile

So who is responsible?

Otis
I suppose it does fall on the kid to actually follow the advice.
uberweefunmode Wrote:I'm sure the major cause of myopia nowadays is from kids reading/playing videogames without breaking to focus at different distances enough... it'd be so simple to tell kids: just look away for a little bit every ten minutes or so, but if everybody knew that it would put the minus lens out of business. :-\

everyone does know it, nobody has the will to do it. Excessive near work isn't the cause myopia anyways.
uberweefunmode, that's great that you want to be involved in pararescue. I am very interested in this too.

You should read Bates' original book posted for free on this website. It outlines the main concepts behind poor eyesight.

Paul

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now