MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
About reading the Snellen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About reading the Snellen
Is it correct to say that reading the Snellen is simply a way of 'training' your eyes to relax and get rid of strain?

I've read in Bates' book that reading in a dim light can actually be beneficial because if you're straining it would be quite difficult to read, therefore it 'forces' you to relax so you can read (I'm just paraphrasing here, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The same is true for sunning, I think. You can't perform sunning if you don't know how to relax, therefore you develop the skill of obtaining relaxation, and relaxation improves vision.

Am I wrong?

Thanks guys!!! ;D
Dear Marlon,

You are neither "wrong" nor "right". ???

Quote:Is it correct to say that reading the Snellen is simply a way of 'training' your eyes to relax and get rid of strain?

Otis> It would be more correct to say that, in reading your Snellen at say 20/60, (as per the 1913 study)
you know objectively where you stand, and your goal. Once you are clear in your mind about
that objective -- you can begin working to clea your Snellen by using Bates and other methods.

Quote:I've read in Bates' book that reading in a dim light can actually be beneficial because if you're straining it would be quite difficult to read, therefore it 'forces' you to relax so you can read (I'm just paraphrasing here, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Otis> This is a matter of your "call". There are many people who will tell you that reading in very poor light
is a very poor idea. But that also must be a matter of your judgment. Smile

Otis> As always, the goal is to pass the DMV test (read 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet) and get rid
of that minus because you PERSONALLY verified your vision yourself. Smile

Otis> Is not that the objective? What other objective could there be? ???

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now