MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Is sleep really necessary?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is sleep really necessary?
Please read this and tell me what you think:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://media.www.dailynebraskan.com/media/storage/paper857/news/2003/09/26/Opinion/Michael.Montgomery.Sleep.Necessary.Or.Conspiracy-1719967.shtml">http://media.www.dailynebraskan.com/med ... 9967.shtml</a><!-- m -->

I've not finished reading it yet but so far it makes so much sense to me. And it relates directly to my recent Bates experiences!
I noticed that sleep is an unfavorable condition for me when improving my sight. Bates also said that by practicing his method you can reduce the need for sleep.

Am i dreaming? lol Big Grin
Also believe it or not, I've had so much success with the Bates method the last few days that I feel like I would lose my improvement or the memory of my improvement by sleeping.

I'm trying to keep the fact in mind that trying to sleep = living life with effort. The key really is to let yourself sleep. If I feel sleepy I sleep. If not, I don't sleep. Smile

Just trying my best to live life without effort! Tongue
Is it true that New York doesn't sleep? I had a feeling Dr. Bates never slept! Big Grin
I love sleeping! Every weekend when I wake up fresh from a nice long night of sleep I wake up with vision so much clearer than usual. Sleeping helps me big time.
Hehe good for u cheerio. Smile

Last night I waited until I was sleepy and then went to bed. I lied on my back with my eyes closed and started breathing very slowly, deeply, and fully, imagining as if each breath came in and out like waves at the sea shore, and counting each breath. Then I got the most extreme urge to move my body...I became insanely uncomfortable. And it was only because there was a wrinkle in my shirt between my back and my bed. Still I did not move at all, I wanted to resist the temptation to move and see if it would go away. Then it felt like I almost left my body...I could tell because my whole body started vibrating and feeling very warm and comfortable, and then it felt like I started spinning and was about to shoot off somewhere! It was crazy! Big Grin

Also, my theory is that almost everybody strains their vision a tiny bit simply because society tells them they should eat at a certain time even though they may not be hungry, or sleep at a certain time even though they may not be tired. I also believe that people would notice these things if they sungazed regularly!
I've heard that, that sleep isn't as necessary as we think. But my impression is that it takes some work, or your rattling mind will suck you dry and keep you needing lots of sleep to recharge.

I used to rely on tired eyes as being my indicator that it's time to go to bed. But if my eyes aren't tired, I don't really think about it, and I have to end up getting really groggy and physically tired to want to sleep.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
David Wrote:But my impression is that it takes some work, or your rattling mind will suck you dry and keep you needing lots of sleep to recharge.

Could you please reword that sentence? I didn't quite understand... ???
I think he means that are brains won't exactly function right if we try to deprive ourselves too much of sleep.

I actually love to sleep. Nine hours without thinking about working. Haha.
Jason Wrote:
David Wrote:But my impression is that it takes some work, or your rattling mind will suck you dry and keep you needing lots of sleep to recharge.

When your mind is noisy, I think to sustain itself as a noisy mind it robs your body of the energy it would otherwise have. Like say you want to palm and be quiet and relax for a moment, but you can't keep the thoughts from popping up and distracting you and evoking emotions, draining you. You can stop it, but clearly it takes practice and dedication. Vision seems to be something of the same type of energy-robbing thing when it is dominated by strain. So how ever exactly you're getting drained, I think going without sleep, or with only very little sleep, would depend upon not being drained on a daily basis like that.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
David Wrote:
Jason Wrote:

When your mind is noisy, I think to sustain itself as a noisy mind it robs your body of the energy it would otherwise have. Like say you want to palm and be quiet and relax for a moment, but you can't keep the thoughts from popping up and distracting you and evoking emotions, draining you. You can stop it, but clearly it takes practice and dedication. Vision seems to be something of the same type of energy-robbing thing when it is dominated by strain. So how ever exactly you're getting drained, I think going without sleep, or with only very little sleep, would depend upon not being drained on a daily basis like that.

Dave

Ohhh now I get it. Lately I've been getting a ton of emotions, and these emotions have been the most intense I've ever felt in my entire life that I can remember at this moment. First it was intense fear, then it was (and still is) intense joy!

Am I right in thinking that fear = strain and joy = relaxation? Please answer asap!
Fear will most definitely help you get sucked dry. It doesn't seem like there's any harm in joy, and of course there's the whole Abraham thing (The Secret) encouraging it, but there are contrary viewpoints about the effect that it really has.

Dave
Site Administrator

Actually the night that I was the most scared in my entire night (just 2 days ago), I got no sleep the entire night. Yet the morning after when I got up I felt totally refreshed and much more at peace with myself than before I got the fear!
I once knew of somebody who claimed he never sleeps. His name was Arlin and was a very awkward fellow, but I sure thought he was cool for a very long time! It seemed he had a great joy for life.
And by "knew of somebody" i meant i knew him personally for a very long time, btw.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now