MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Explanation of the Bates Method and Floaters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explanation of the Bates Method and Floaters
I was contemplating the Bates method and the eye and something came to mind.

I've often heard that people have reduced floaters when their vision increases. I was trying to think of why that might be and I think I may have a theory that I'd like to share with you guys.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Myopia.svg">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Myopia.svg</a><!-- m -->

If you look at that diagram it seems to me that of course the myopic eye would be more prone to seeing floaters. When the vision is focused in front of the retina, even a small floater that comes near the focal point will cast a large shadow on the retina.

Comparing the myopic eye with the emmetropic eye, the emmetropic eye has less area close to the focal point exposed. The area behind the focal point is now gone, as the light is hitting the retina. I think it is possible that everyone has floaters, but not everyone can see them.

This fits in with Bates' explanation of mental tension causing floaters. When the tension is released, the eye accomodates normally, the focal point shifts and the floaters disappear from view, no longer casting their shadows on the retina via the exposed focal point.

Just throwing it out there,

Tell me what you think.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now