MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Can vision be improved if glassses are continued to be worn?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can vision be improved if glassses are continued to be worn?
Has anyone ever improved their vision following the Bates method, while wearing glasses occasionally to perform essential tasks (driving, reading, operating machinery etc)? Or know of anyone doing so? I would really like to know, thanks.
DISCARD YOUR GLASSES

Easy to say, something else to do.

Patients who are really anxious to be cured can discard glases and obtain benefit almost from the start. Wearing of glasses becomes a fixed habit. The idea of going witout them is a shock. The honest determination to do all that is possible to be done for a cure makes it easy or easier to discard glasses at once. Patients tell me that after they have discarded their glasses for a few days they do not feel as uncomfortable as they expected.

it is very natural that one should hesittate to discard glasses after he has worn them for many years and obtained what seems considerable benefit. It may help to read what I have published about glasses. Most of the discomforts of the eyes are largely functional or nervous and not due to any real or organic trouble with the eyes. All the symptoms of discomfort are accompanied by a strain which produces a wrong focus of the eyes called myopia, hypermetropia, astigmatism or presbyopia. Glasses may correct the wrong focus produces by the strain, but they do not always because the eyes are not always strained to fit glasses accurately. While wearing glasses in order to see, one has to strain or, by all effort, squeeze the eyeball out of shape, and it is impossible, therefore, to obtain relaxation and see with glasses.

If one can understand what I have just stated one can realize the necessity of discarding glasses in order to obtain a cure. I feel that the facts should be emphasized and the patient made to understand the necessity of discarding glasses. This makes it easier for the patient to do without glasses.

Do not argue with yourself about the matter. When you go to a doctor you expect to take his medicine even though you may not know what it is or how it is going to act. When patients come to me for relief I say, "Discard your glasses and you can be cured."

If they are wise they do as I say without any talk.

- July 1920

NO GLASSES

A person who has been wearing glasses to improve the sight of myopia and has worn these glasses for a number of years is quite dependent upon them. When the glasses are removed, the vision is much less than normal and it is a curious fact that the vision without glasses does not depend directly upon the amount of myopia. A person with two diopters of myopia may have just as poor vision without glasses as one who has six or more. When a myopic patient lays aside the glasses entirely for two weeks, when the vision is again tested it is often much improved. The facts demonstrate that wearing glasses always lowers the visual acuity much below what it is when the glasses are not worn at all. It is a matter of common knowledge that when the glasses are first worn that the patient does not always obtain a maximum amount of relief. Some eye doctors when asked to explain matters sometimes tell their patients that their eyes have to become adjusted to the glasses. It is not always easy to explain things satisfactorily, especially when some fault-finding patients complain that what they wanted was glasses to help their eyes and that they hardly expected to be called upon to adjust their eyes to fit the glasses.

When any progress is made in improving the vision of myopia, the wearing of glasses, even for emergencies, usually causes a relapse with loss of all the benefit gained by treatment. The use of glasses should be forbidden.

- November 1923

GLASSES RETARD PROGRESS

By Edith T.Fisher, M.S., M.D.

...Four days later I saw him again. His vision had not improved. Before I had an oppurtunity to question him he said, "I know why I have not improved more. it is because I have worn my glasses for about an hour a day. Each time after wearing them my sight is just as bad as it was the first time I took them off four days ago."

I had very carefully explained about not wearing the glassses, but he thought I had attributed undue importance to this phrase, therefore he had not mentioned that it was absolutely necessary for him to wear them about an hour a day. As the glasses affected his vision so unfavourably and caused the loss of all that he had previously gained, it seemed doubtful that he would ever improve to any great extent as long as he continued to wear them. On days when he did not use glasses, as Sundays and holidays, his improvement was more marked and then, after wearing them, he did not lose quite all that he had previously gained but in this way his progress was exceedingly slow.

- May 1925

NO GLASSES FOR QUICK RESULTS

The first and best thing that all patients should do after their first treatment, or before, is to discard their glasses. It is not always an easy thing to do but it is best for the patient and for the teacher. It is true that at one time I did not encourage patients to learn about the treatment unless they discarded their glasses permanently. But since I have studied more about my method and have encouraged some of my Clinic patients to wear their glasses at times while under treatment. I find that some of them obtained a cure but it required double the amount of time that was required to cure those who discarded their glasses permanently. During the treatment when the glasses are worn temporarily, even for a short time, the vision sometimes becomes worse and in most cases a relapse is produced. It is much more difficult to regain the lost ground than ever before, and sometimes causes much discomfort.

Glasses for the correction of myopia do not fit the eyes all the time. To obtain good vision with glasses an effort is requried to make the eyes change their focus to have the same error of refraction as the glasses correct. When the vision is benefited most perfectly by glasses it is necessary for the eyes to change frequently. To learn the amount of myopia in the eyes by trying different glasses to find the glass which continously improves the vision best is usually difficult because the amount of the myopia changes so frequently. To change the amount of myopia requires an effort. Some people complain that no glasses fit their eyes permanently. These cases are benefited by discarding their glasses for a longer or shorter period while being treated. Patients who require good sight to earn a living and find it difficult to discard their glasses while under treatment have been able to make slow or rapid progress in the cure of their imperfect sight by wearing their glasses only when it was absolutely necessary.

- October 1928

THROW AWAY YOUR GLASSES

More than thirty years ago, not knowing any better and being guided by the practice of other eye doctors, I recommended patients with imperfect sight throw away their eyes and see with their glasses. Since that time I have made several discoveries which have enabled me to cure people without the use of glasses. The slogan now is, "Throw away your glasses and see with your eyes."

- July 1929
Kazekage, thanks for taking the time to point out all those references.

However, I am aware of most of those writings by Bates. I apologise if my original post wasn't clear, but what I wanted was to hear from people who have actually improved their vision while still wearing glasses occasionally, or know of someone who does. It wasn't to look for reference material.

Thanks.
Well, the some of those articles I just posted tell the story of people who actually have made some improvement while wearing glasses as you can see above. They might not be from now, but stories or anecdotes from 100 years ago are just as valid, IMO. If you would like to know whether people have worn glasses right here on this forum, you will certainly find many telling you that that they believe they have. But despite that I would always warn and pursuade anyone against wearing glasses the best I can, because in most cases no serious progress can be made if you continue to wear them. The following are two good articles writtten by Emily as she describes her own experience, the struggle of first becoming accustomed to glasses, and the next struggle she faced of discarding them. This I hope will encourage everyone and raise morals to get rid of their own glasses instead of still wearing them 'out of fear'.

May I ask why you want to know if vision can be improved if glasses are continued to be worn? What's your own situation? Is something giving you doubts about permanently discarding them?

DON'T BE AFRAID

I have heard many patients who came for first treatment say "I am afraid." This remark is usually made when we suggest that the patient should stop wearing glasses immediately in order to recieve a permanent benefit. I have known of patients who only had a minor defect of vision who were uncomfortable at work unless they wore their glasses. Those who have worn glasses for just a few years and recieved little or no benefit while wearing them would go to many doctors with the hope that they wold obtain the proper eyeglasses which would relieve them of their tension and pain.

Most of our cases are chronic and they appeal to Dr. Bates or to me to help them when all others have failed. I hope to be able to reach such cases through this article and if what I am trying to explain will be of just a little help, it will be worthwhile.

A patient came to us recently who had traveled three thousand miles to see the Doctor, but when he was told that he could not possibly be helped unless he removed his glasses at once and did not wear them again, he became panic stricken and wept. The Doctor is at a loss sometimes when such things happen and he usually appeals to me for assistance. Encouragement is not always enough for a stranger who comes to us not feeling at all sure that he is in the right place, even if he has been well recommended.He wants facts and he wants to meet others who have gone through the same ordeal that he is expected to go through.

Fortunately there was a patient in the next room who overheard the conversation I had with this man. he came to the door of our room and asked if he might talk to this patient and tell him of his own experiences. He xplained how he had traveled many miles to see what Dr. Bates could do for him. He had worn glasses many years and they helped him for some time, but even with glasses on his vision becamse worse for the near point. he did not need glasses at all for the distance but at the near point he was unable to distinguish large objects clearly enough to know what they were.

When our new patient first met Dr. Bates, who in his quiet way started right in to treat him, there was a fear in his heart that he had perhaps made a msitake in coming. he wanted things explained to him. He was afraid that sooner or later his vision, even for the distance, would become impaired and that in time blindness would surely overcome him. He was afraid. The older patient explained to this man how Dr. Bates had kept him for two hours in his office during the first visit and how, after he left the office, he was able temporarily to read finer print than newspaper or book type. He wanted to save time and expense and did not come again for several days, which was a big mistake, and he realized that it was.

He could not practice so well at home by himself and he became discouraged and put on his glasses again. When he called for another apointment he had to go right back to where he started from. he had wasted two precious hours and the fee besides because he had been afraid. During the second treatment, however, he was able to read finer print with less difficulty than he had during his first treatment. This encouraged him very much. This time he made no promises to the Doctor that hew ould not wear his glasses, but he was determined that he would not. He explained to our new patient how some days he could not practice as successfully as he could on previous days, but he kept right on remembering what the Doctor had directed him to do and he did it. Two weeks of daily treatment have given him almost normal vision. All he needs now is a little more knowledge of what he has to do when a relapse comes and then he will be rid of glasses for all time. this talk with the older patient helped Dr. Bates to managed his new case more easily and with more confidence in the Doctor, I feel sure that the patient will win out.

...A few months ago a mother brought her daughter from high school where they had noticed that she was squeezing her eyes almost shut in order to see the writing on the blackboard. It is unusual to see a young girl sixteen years old with many wrinkles in her forehead. It was so noticeable to others that she was soon made unhappy because of this. The authorities at the school that she attaneds notified the mother that her eyes must be examined for glasses. Neither her grandparents nor her mother or father had ever worn glasses and it was a shock to the mother to think that the daughter would have to wear them. The girl became depressed and unhappy and felt, as did her mother, that there must be some way in which to relieve her trouble so that she would not have to wear glasses.

As Dr. Bates has so little time to explain the reason why, he often calls upon me to do the talking if it is necessary, or even when it is not necessary. I thought I had convinced the mother that her daughter would not have any more trouble with ther eyes if she would learn to do what we had told her, and that if she would practice every day the treatment we would outline for her while at school and in her home, she would enjoy good sight ad not need her glasses. I was much surprised when the mother answered me like this:

"How can you possibly understand the discomfort that patients have who need glasses or who ought to wear them when you have never had imperfect sight yourself?"

I forgot myself and laughed at the remark and then I explained to the mother how for thirteen years I had worn glasses to do my work. When it was first noticed that my eyes were not functioning correctly and that I was making mistakes in my work, which was matching colours and combining them, my employer suggested that I should be examined for glasses. He explained to me that the mistakes were minor ones but that from day to day I would perhaps make more serious mistakes and that I would lose my position.

That was a shock to me, and immediately I went to the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, where I was placed in a dark room after drops had been applied in each eye. I explained to this mother how I had been forgotten and left in that dark room much longer than it was necessary and it seemed hours to me. The thoughts that went through my mind were mostly fearful ones. I was afraid taht my eyes were going back on me. The doctors at the infirmary did not explain a thing to me before they gave me the drops.

The eyeglasses which were fitted for my eyes suited me very well for two years and then my eyes began to trouble me more than ever and the glasses had to be changed. I did not go in the Eye Infirmary the second time but I went to an optometrist who had the most elaborate apparatus I ever saw for examining the eyes. After an hour of much fussing on his part I was given glasses whicih did not at first suit my eyes. I tried them for two weeks or a little longer, I believe, and then I went back to him and complained that they did not suit my eyes.

"Oh," said he, "you must get accustomed to the glasses; your eyes will sooner or later be adjusted to them."

Recieving no further encouragement or help, I tried again for a short time, always afraid when I was corssing the street that I would have an accident, because before I reached the curb I thought I was there and would step up. At other times I reached the curb sooner than I thought I would and I stumbled a few times and almost fell.

I returned to the optometrist and demanded a different lens which he gave me and this I wore until I came to Dr. Bates as a patient nineteen years ago. I was skeptical, too, just as some of our patients are when they first come to us for help. That is why I try to understand a new patient and to give him the encouragement and advice that he needs as soon as it is possible to do so.

What a blessing it was for me to meet Dr. Bates and to be relieved entirely of my eye trouble in six weeks' time. When Dr. Bates first examined my eyes, the letters of the test card up to the 30-line were clear and black. The next three lines I could not distinguish clearly, and every letter had a tail which bothered me very much. He did not spend very much time with me because he said I was an easy case to cure and advised me what to do at home.

I did exactly as some of our patients do now. I did the wrong thing, but one thing I did not do was to put my glasses on again. I put them back in their case and placed them in the back of my bureau drawer where they remained until sometime later when I displayed them to my friends very much as I would an antique or a curiosity.

Some of my friends did not like to see me without glasses and told me so, I did not look so well without them, they said. Others said I would surely make my eyesight worse by not wearing them, while still others said that I may have been able to do without glasses at any time, and that perhaps I did not have to wear them. Of course, these remarks were not always encoruaging, but just the same I believe in Dr. Bates and was determined to win out. After the fourth treatment I had more confidence in the Doctor and I made progress from then on, although there were days when I had sudden relapses and became somewhat discouraged. He often said this to me, "If you are not afraid, you will obtain normal vision, but fear makes you strain; don't forget that."

This mother was grateful for what I had told her of my experience and we began to treat her daughter with unusual success during her first visit. She went back to school and returned in a few weeks' time for more treatmetn adn the first thing I noticed was that the wrinkles had vanished. Various test cards were given to her so that she would not tire of the practice at school and at home. A few months after her first visit to us she was pronounced cured. Her vision, which is nthe beginning was about half of the normal, and her sight for the near point had both improved to normal. It did not matter to her what size type she was asked to read or how close she held it. She could read it just as well at any distance. With the familiar test card and strange cards she became able to read 15/10 with each eye. She wrote us a letter of gratitude which encouraged us greatly.

What applies to the eyes also applies to the mind and other parts of the body. Fear causes great suffering and often impairs the mind permanently. Relaxation and rest of the mind can only be obtained when we stop making an effort. With more faith in those who are trying to help us, whether it is mentally, physically, spiritually, or otherwise, we help to remove all fear of what might happen to us. It is not the thing that has happened that causes one to be afraid, but it is the unknown that frightens us.

- February 1929

DISCARDING GLASSES NOT INJURIOUS

The most difficult thing for a patient to do is to discard glasses immediately. When a patient comes to us, recommended by his physician or oculist, we have no difficulty in this respect, even though he has worn glasses for many years. But when a patient comes for treatment at the suggsetion of a friend or someone who has been benefited by the Bates Method, there is sometimes a doubt in the patient's mind as to whether it is a mistake or injurious for him to stop wearing glasses immediately after having worn them for a long time.

Nineteen years ago I came to Dr. Bates as a patient. Headaches, nausea, and continuous pain in the back of my neck made me irritable and nervous, and sometimes I was not a very agreeable person to have about. A neighbour of my little mother first told me about Dr. Bates and how he had cured her five children of imperfect sight and other ailments.

I felt quite comfortable at times with the glasses I wore and because they helped me to see better I wore them almost constantly. As I explained in a previous article, I had worn glasses a ltitle more than thirteen years, and during that time I had them changed three times. the last glasses I wore did not help me when I first put them on. The oculist informed me that I woudl have to wear them for a few weeks until I ecame accustomed to them. They were much stronger glasses than those I had worn previously and for that reasno the oculist told me my eyes would adjust themselves to the glasses in time.

This must have been the case because after a while I got along nicely with them for a few hours every day, but toward the end of almost every day the nausea and discomfort became a regular occurrence. When I visisted Dr. Bates for the first time I did not know that the glasses I was wearing were the cause of my pain and discomfort. In fact I did not altogether believe that Dr. Bates was right in the diagnosis he had made of my case. I put my glasses away as he suggested, but the very next day I was ready to complain about my usual headache and other pains. However I did not have anything to complain about. But I neglectd some of my daily duties about my home to practice what the Doctor told me to do.

I soon found out that blinking often made me feel easier - that things about the house looked clearer to me when I blinked. I liked that, so I kept it up all day. Dr.. Bates noticed during my treatment that I did not breathe regularly and advised me to do so. I made it a practice to blink as I inhaled and exhaled so one thing reminded me to do the other. As I looked into a mirror I noticed as I blinked that my eyes moved slightly, which gave me a sense of relaxation I did not have while wearing my glasses. Dr. Bates explained in his book and in other articles that he has written that when eyestrain is relieved, strain in all parts of the body is also relieved. Dr. Bates advised me to close my eyes to rest them, which always improved my vision for the tset card.

The second dayI wanted very much to put on my glasses again because I woke up that morning with a terrific headache. I was almost sure that Dr. Bates was wrong about the whole thing. I telephoned to him and argued the matter with him. I was much surprised to have him tell me that I might have strained my eyes during sleep. How absurd this seemed to me, but he was right about this and I will explain how I found it out for myself and how I releived the starin by doing exactly as he advised me.

I placed my alarm clock on a chair beside my bed and set the alarm to ring two hours after I had fallen asleep. If I had a dream during those two hours of sleep, I had a pad and pencil near me to write down what I could remember of my dream. Some of our Better eyesight readers will say that this was a waste of time adn may even laugh at such a procedure during the night. Later on I was glad I did this because I was entirely cured of nightmares which caused me many times to apologize for waknig up members of my family with screams or causing other disturbances which were sometimes a great worry to those near me.

I practiced the long swing for five minutes or longer every night and morning in addition to other things taht Dr. Bates advised me to do during the night.

Children are more ready to discard their glasses than are adults and for that reason there are more children cured than adults, and in a shorter time. Some patients who come to us for treatment have been wearing glasses that are very weak in power and yet they say they cannot possibly do without them. Doing without glasses a little longer each day is a good way to begin. If one has been wearing glasses for a long time, it is much easier for a patient to gradually do without them, if he is not under treatment for the removal of glasses.

A man, age 57, who had astigmatism in both eyes, was afraid to leave off his glasses after the first treatment. He had worn glasses for thirty-six years, having had them changed several times during this period. At the age of 21, he paid his first visit to an oculist who told him that the compound hypermetropic astigmatism which he had would get worse if he did not wear his glasses steadily. He obeyed the oculist and in a year's time he had the glasses changed. The first few years he did not notice much discomfort while wearing the glasses, but later on if he did not remove the glasses occasionally and close his eyes to rest them, he would feel so tired that even at work he would fall asleep. [Treatment of patient then described in detail]

... For almost an hour he practiced looking from the white spaces between the lines of fine print to the white spaces between the lines of larger print of the Fundamentals card and before he left the office that day, he read all of the Fundamentals card at six inches as well as at twelve inches. he telephoned a few days later and said that he felt no discomfort although he had discarded his glasses. There were times, however, when he did have a strong desire to put them on again. Advice by mail helped, and in a year's time his vision became normal.

Having so little fear about removing his glasses after having worn them so many years was proof enough that it could be done. it require will power and also confidence in the instructor or doctor who is teaching the patient to see without glasses.

While some patients are cured quickly, there are patients who do not do so well and keep practicing sometimes for a year or longer without obtaining a cure. This is because the method has not been practiced popwerly at home or the advice given by the Doctor has not been carried out completely. I have been assisting Dr. Bates long enough to know that glasses can be discarded permanently no matter how long they have been worn.

- September 1929
Damn it, it's amazing how many threads there are about glasses yet too few about really important thins - sun treatment, memory of black dot, imagination, swing etc.

It is very grievous to see. It means too many people do not even scratch the surface of Bates method.

People, wake up, glasses are NOT compatible with Bates method, they are AGAINST it! Is it so difficult to understand? Why asking idiotic questions like this of this thread?

I wished there was a separate discussion board, in the "Off topic" section, where David could forward everyone willing to discuss the fucking glasses.
Kazekage, thanks for the informative references again. It is one thing to read the writings of someone who lived in the industrial age, and another to try to apply the recommendations in the technological age. I just want to know if anyone else has succeded at improving their vision whilst still wearing glasses.

Oleg, thanks for your kind comments. Actually, your replies on this issue in the other threads was what prompted me to ask this question. All I want to know is, has anybody ever practiced the Bates method, and still wore glasses when required, and were able to improve their vision? Or know somebody who did. That is all I ask for. If nobody has, fine. If somebody has, fine too. Consider it a poll of sorts.

Thanks.
Suppose you know it so what? How this information can come in use? I greatly doubt it. In contrast, I believe questioning whether glasses should be permanently discarded for success with Bates method does a lot of real harm. You thereby admit it is disputable. People's minds are already cluttered with loads of wrong ideas about eyesight. By asking idiotic questions you aggravate the already unfavorable conditions instead of building a favorable environment inside our community. Shame on you if you say you have read the "writings by Bates". You should reread it again, because you haven't understood anything. Dr. Bates have given the clear answer to your question countless times. And the answer is NO!
Damn, the very book by Dr. Bates is titled "Perfect Sight Without Glasses". Isn't that the ultimate evidence of how important Dr. Bates deemed it to be?

I think David should create a FAQ page about glasses and every time anyone begins arguing about them, he or she should be forwarded directly there by a brief post with just a couple of good old f-words.

Man, I'm becoming harsh like Rishi Smile I understand the man now...
Oleg, you are totally off-topic. Again, I am asking has anyone improved their vision by practicing the Bates methods, whilst still wearing glasses, or know anyone who did. Aren't you curious to know if it has actually been done? In no way am I arguing the case for and against wearing glasses.
I am off-topic??? You've just made me laugh out loud. Smile Glasses ARE THE real off-topic to Bates method. Except that they need to be totally and permanently discarded at the very beginning of treatment.

If I were to ask idiotic questions, I'd rather ask others: How many of you have already discarded glasses permanently? This would at least give you and others encouragement to do the right thing, not an excuse to do the wrong thing.
No, I am not curious, just like I am not curious how many fishes can talk. It's the essence of Bates method that glasses are opposite to relaxation. By asking your question you demonstrate total ignorance about Dr. Bates idea, even though you claim to have read his book.
Oleg, are you implying that the people who claimed to have improve their vision (on this website and others) by practicing the Bates method whilst still wearing glasses, are lying? A simple yes or no would be enough, thanks.
petey, you obviously haven't read a single page from the Bates book (and also nothing from Kazekage's extractions) because the answer to your question is present in every case described by Dr. Bates and Emily. Of course new patients come to the office wearing glasses and of course most of them are able, after some relaxation, to demonstrate temporary improvement. This is the way the patients are first encouraged and engaged to discard their glasses permanently and practice the method until they obtain the complete cure. However if they are not determined enough and put the glasses back on after leaving the office, their improvement is immediately destroyed.

So the short answer is: yes, people can improve their eyesight temporarily by putting their glasses off and practicing relaxation, and no, they cannot secure any permanent improvement by continuing to wear glasses, even part time. Anyone who claims the latter would be a liar.

BTW Rishi claims that wearing glasses while practicing Bates method is even more injurious because drives the strain even deeper into the subconscious mind and makes it harder to get it out of there. I would agree.

Please read and reread periodically the original book by Dr. Bates and the BEMs carefully. All answers are there, your practice will become much easier and clearer.
Perhaps I should have phrased my original question like this:

Has anyone on this forum ever improved their vision following the Bates method, while wearing reduced prescription glasses occasionally to perform essential tasks (driving, reading, operating machinery etc)? Or know of anyone doing so? I would really like to know, thanks.
Hi Petey Smile

In answer to your question, can I direct you to this thread... (if the link works that is :-\ ).

-http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=936-

If that doesn't work, the topic was titled "Ok to still wear glasses sometimes".

Here I asked if it was still ok to wear glasses and somewhere in the replies is a post from someone on this board (sorrisiblue) who has made improvement while still wearing glasses.

Can I also draw your attention to this book-

Improve Your Eyesight - A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses
Author - Jonathan Barnes

This is an excellent book that I have read as well as Bates' own book, and Mr. Barnes states in his book, that although Bates advocated no wearing of glasses at all, this clearly isn't always possible in today's society. In the book he says, "To begin with, you should aim to remove your glasses at any time when you do not actually need them."
At the end of the book the author describes his own experience of regaining his eyesight.

I know that if Oleg reads my post he's going to probably shout at me or tell me I'm stupid, but everyone here is entitled to their own opinion, and mine is this-

In today's society many of us have to drive a car or use a computer at work or other machinery, and simply removing your glasses permanently, at least at first, is just not possible. And, probably dangerous. And let's face it, when Bates was around it was at a time where most people probably could do away with their glasses - times have changed.

I think it is unfair to say that anyone following Bates' method will not succeed and should just give up. Even if it takes them longer if they still have to wear glasses sometimes, isn't it worth trying? What has the person got to lose anyway?

Of course every effort should be taken to not wear glasses unless absolutely necessary - but I think that most if not all of the people on here who have asked the "glasses question" (myself included) are intelligent enough to understand the difference between needing to wear glasses and simply being afraid of taking them off. In other words- I'm not afraid to take my glasses off (in fact I love not wearing them) but I'm not stupid enough to get behind the wheel of my car without them on.

I've been doing this for several weeks now, and I have got a reduced prescription (2 diopters less than normal prescription) that I use for computer work (I'm a computer programmer) and I only use my 'stronger' ones for driving (although I don't think it will be long before I can use my reduced ones for driving too ). I am already making some progress and I know that my eyesight is improving. It's early days yes, but I can see my eyesight is getting better so I for one am going to continue with it.

Thanks Petey for your question - I am always interested in the topic of glasses and I think its good to discuss it. Hope my reply helps a bit Smile

And Oleg - please try not to call me any names when you read this post. I know you have your opinion and you're entitled to it, but frankly I think the way that you speak to some people on this board is a little- well- confrontational :-[ I would like to know, though, Oleg - do you think that we should all throw away our glasses and drive and operate machinery without them on? If you need an operation, will you be happy for the surgeon to manage without glasses if he normally needs them?

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download