MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New to the Bates Method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the Bates Method
Hi all,

I started realising I am losing my eyesight at the age of 16 when i couldn't see people's faces clearly when they are standing 500 meters away. This gradually deproved to being unable to see signs at 300m away. Right now I am 18 and do not intend to have leave my vision to regress. I do not wear glasses and do not intend to do so. I have not seen an optician in my whole life and got no idea what my degree is or whatsoever. I am pretty sure its not as bad as some of my friends' since I see blur when i try on the spectacles and they don't wear it all the time. Throughout the many eye screening tests on the snellen that I have during elementary school my eyesight for both have always been 6/6 or 6/9 at worst 6/12 but always swinging in between.

However I have not taken any eye tests for 3 years and have no idea where I am at now. One thing I do notice clearly is that my right eye is way sharper than my left eye, but my left eye is master eye. I would case mine as mild myopia but nonetheless I am still determined to regain my full perfect eyesight that I had. Feels wierd seeing blur.

I have read through the site and book available. But I can't seem to find step by step instructions for these: Swinging, Shifting, Central Fixation and Sunning. It seems everyone keeps mentioning them and I don't see the exercises in the book besides the explanations. I tried palming last year for a period of time and do think I see pure black when I do so but the pure black kind of comes and goes, but the most important thing was after palming most of the time... things seem VERY blur after that, and my eyes need to get accustomed again before I regain my vision which does not seem to be affected by the palming.

Last year I did get a single really uber clear flash of perfect/eagle vision. When my eyesight did not deterioate as much and i was roaming around websites trying different exercises, I went down to church one day and found that I could see everything extremely clearly and rich. The statue that is 200m away, I could see specks of dust lumps and all. I forgot what I did the previous night as it was from random sites and I knew nothing of what the flashes of clear vision was before reading this site that it was actually the road to recovery. Ever since then I have not been getting anymore of it.

I tried sunning yesterday. The sun was extremely bright and overhead. I sat on a bench and had to tilt my head all the way up. I had to sun with my eyes closed first as the glare was really strong and the sun was kind of diamond shaped with many rays instead of a single bright circle. I got lots of afterimages if I try and look at it. And it remain that way until I did something which I am not sure if its right. I placed my fingers over my eyes to shield off alot of the rays and look at the sun, as if through a pin-hole glass. The sun was circular when I did that. I slowly separated my fingers and the sun became brighter but the circular shape remained. Then I could remove my hands and the sun still apear circular and jumping.. kind of like short jumps but the movement is small. Sometimes when i try the same method the sky around the sun looks reddish for like 2 seconds or so. I can keep up the same circular jumping image of the sun even after blinking or looking away for awhile. Sometimes for a second it might revert to the glaring diamond shape unwatchable sun but when I 'relax' again (not sure if its relaxing) the sun becomes lookeable again. At the end of it I see extremely clearly except that because I only found out about the finger method while experimenting halfway, the glare of looking at the sun at the beggining before trying the method probably caused me to have a patch of yellow infront whereever I looked, though it disappears after 1 hour.

I am not sure if I should continue sunning this wa, or is my palming really effective, or if I should just try the other methods like swinging, shifting and central fixation that I have no idea where to start at all. Hope someone can help me with this.
If you have never worn glasses, you are likely to be cured very quickly, if you are intelligent enough.

Dr. Bates intentionally does not give any step by step instructions and only the explanations, because everyone is different and has to find his or her own way that works best for him/her. The main thing is to thoroughly understand the fundamental principles behind the exercises, and then you are free to modify and combine them as you like.

There are also many strategies you can choose from. It's like a strategy computer game. The rule of thumb is that you should listen to the feedback from your mind and body and educate yourself. Having understood the fundamental principles, you can always find the right weapon for each particular manifestation of strain that meets on your way. They peel like onion.

The best educator I have found so far is the Sun. It tells you immediately when you strain by the feeling of acute discomfort. And it lets you know when you are relaxed with the feeling of perfect comfort. Nothing else produces such vivid indicators that help greatly to understand what you should do. Before you succeed with sun treatment, you wouldn't even know and feel that you are strained all the time. After experiencing sun treatment, you begin to discriminate strained feeling from relaxed feeling even when you are not looking at the sun. Then you can apply the same techniques for reaching the comfortable state that you discovered during the sun treatment.

You should not cover your eyes with fingers, look through holes and do other tricks. The goal is not to look at the sun at any cost. THE GOAL IS TO GET ACCUSTOMED TO BRIGHT LIGHT AND LET GO OF THE DISCOMFORT! This is the most important thing. You can do anything you like to reach comfort. Start with your eyes closed and swing your head slowly. Then use the burning glass to focus sun rays on your upper sclera - this is very powerful technique yet very safe, will not cause you after-images. Then open your eyes and just stay and blink in the sun for a few minutes until you feel comfortable. Then look at the sky and get accustomed. Make long swing while looking at the sky. And so forth. Ultimately you will become able to look at the sun directly without discomfort. If you still feel discomfort, you are straining and this will only give you after images and other disagreeable temporary conditions. The feeling of comfort is the discretion you should use.
I see. Hmmm.. what colour should I see when i close my eyes and face the sun? I don't think anyone can see black since the eye lid is partially translucent. I can choose to see orange, red, but if I like I can actually see pale green as well. As for discomfort, I am not sure what discomfort feels like since being under the sun is already uncomfortable. I live in Singapore and its very near the equator. The tropical sun reach temperatures of over 35 degree celsius at the moment and looking at the sun in any way still forces my eyes to close. But if i do continue to look at the sun, the spherical sun seem to move and jump around in all wierd directions. Right now the expected vision line of letters on the snellen chart look quite blur and I make around 30% mistakes on that line. I wish I could see the 2 lines below that expected vision line, all I see is black blots.

Whats important for me now is to master the correct eye relaxation technique and improve my eyesight back to perfect vision and keep it there by avoiding any strain. (Of course I must know what strain is...) But at the moment the sun from my country does not seem to indicate comfort or strain very well.

P.S. Burning glasses with the sun above 35 degree celsius causes pain to the eyes despite moving the glass rapidly above the sclera.
bumpz!

btw can bates method reduce intermitten exotropia? Or will it go away eventually when I attain perfect eyesight. does sun gazing worsen my exotropia?
Please define exotropia?
Is it less clear, dull, low vision in one eye and/or wandering eye inward, out, up, down..?
My right eye wanders outward when looking at far away objects.

If it goes inwards its called esotropia i guess.
Yes, then the two people I mentioned can show you how to correct it.
My left and right eyes wander in and out slightly and it lowers my vision.
I do switching and shifting on close and far objects; both eyes, one eye at a time, both eyes again... and it cures the problem.
Use a white eye patch, open alittle on the outer side of the patch to cover the eye not in use.
This prevents the eye not being used to continue to be active, recieving light, keeping both brain hemispheres and eyes active when practicing..
Reading fine print and shifting, central fixation on tiny details of close and far objects helps.
Central fixation causes both eyes to fix on the same point, part of the object.
Wow thanks for replying.

The link you gave me on the other post seems pretty hard to find specific cures on exotropia and the links to the 2 person you mentioned.
Dr. Bates magazines give examples of how he cured wandering, crossed eyes, low, dim, no vision in one or both eyes.
Janet goodriches books; Help your child to perfect sight without eyeglasses and natural vision improvement show activities to do for wandering/crossed... eye conditions.
Also check Thomas Quackenbush's book ; Relearning to see for photos of people with this conditin and cures.
His book is available free at most libraries.
Photos and treatments are from Dr. Bates books, magazines.
You can download Dr. Bates free original book from web site; http://www.cleareyesight.info.
The only experience I have in treating these conditions is the Bates method and switching close and far, shifting, central fixation with;
Both eyes together.
Then one eye at a time; only left, then only right.
Both eyes together again.
Try the central fixation stick show on the new chapter; central fixation tools on cleareyesight.info.
More instructions to be posted soon.
Deep relaxation when practicing is most effective.
Looking through the "gate" formed by the stick when looking at ojects in front of the stick activates central fixation and other normal eye functions, correct vision habits and keeps both left and right eyes on the same point, same object, same part of the object the person is looking at.
Shifting on a black period, seeing the swing/oppositional movement of the period relaxes the mind, eyes and helps keep both eyes on the same point.
The long swing and other left and right brain hemisphere activation and integration, movement activities helps.
Dr. Bates says the eye muscle/musclare is not tense.
Usually a eye muscle on the side that the eye turns toward is tense and pulling the eye in that direction.
Relax the muscle and the eye moves to correct position.
Disalignment of the bones of the skull, and sometiines neck vertabrae can pinch or pull on nerves that control eye muscle function causing inactivation of a muscle or tension in a muscle resulting in the wandering/crossed condition.
Eye muscles are connected to certain skull bones.
If the bones are out of alignment the bone can pull on, tense the eye muscles and impair their movemetn, coordination.
A doctor, chiropractor experienced in alignment of the neck vertabrae and bones of the skull may correct this condition.
Forcep birth, head injury can disalign skull and neck bones.
Choose a chiropractor carefully.
See warning on cleareyesight.info; Chiropractors curing blindness and inexperienced dishonest chiropractors causing hearing, vision problems, stroke...
Extreme stress, illness, drugs can cause temporary eye wandering, crossed condition and these often cure on their own as the miind, body relaxes, health improves.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now