MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Straining to see fine print

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straining to see fine print
Starting with some quotes:

Quote:Anatomically the results of straining to see at a distance may be the same as those of regarding an object at the near point without strain; but in one case the eye does what the mind desires, and in the other it does not. (Perfect Sight Without Glasses, ch 9)

And some relevant pieces from ch 10:

Quote:I was then suffering from the maximum degree of presbyopia. I had no accommodative power whatever, and had to have quite an outfit of glasses, because with a glass, for instance, which enabled me to read fine print at thirteen inches, I could not read it either at twelve inches or at fourteen. The retinoscope showed that when I tried to see anything at the near-point without glasses my eyes were focussed for the distance, and when I tried to see anything at the distance they were focussed for the near-point. My problem, then, was to find some way of reversing this condition and inducing my eyes to focus for the point I wished to see at the moment that I wished to see it.
He kindly used the retinoscope through many long and tedious hours while I studied my own case, and tried to find some way of accommodating when I wanted to read, instead of when I wanted to see something at the distance. One day, while looking at a picture of the Rock of Gibraltar which hung on the wall, I noted some black spots on its face. I imagined that these spots were the openings of caves, and that there were people in these caves moving about. When I did this my eyes were focussed for the reading distance. Then I looked at the same picture at the reading distance, still imagining that the spots were caves with people in them. The retinoscope showed that I had accommodated, and I was able to read the lettering beside the picture. I had, in fact, been temporarily cured by the use of my imagination. Later I found that when I imagined the letters black I was able to see them black, and when I saw them black I was able to distinguish their form. (Perfect Sight Without Glasses, ch 10)

A long time back I did an experiment to try to verify what Bates was talking about. It consisted of simply looking alternately at my finger and a distant object, and changing the distance of my finger so that it became close enough to my eye to become blurry. I strained to see the distant object and noticed my finger clearing up, and strained to see my blurry finger and found the distant object clearing up. The key thing was that my finger was "too close" to see, and the distant object was "too far" to see, so it was two opposite ways of straining. I didn't put much thought into it; I just did it. And it did indeed verify what Bates said.

It paints strain in a different way than people may be used to, even after some exposure to the Bates method. What Bates described above is not unique. It seems to always be the case. It is not a matter of your eyes being unable to focus for the distance or near-point. It's a dichotomy between your desire and action. You repeatedly, consistently, do the opposite of what you think you want to do, as if it's programmed into you. But I think it's always possible to remove the programming.

Now onto the method of straining to see fine print close up to reduce myopia. I can't find a good quote from Bates about it right now. I believe Bates said that it seemed to give some benefit but really wasn't ever as successful as his other methods. But anyway, the way I understand it is to be done is for someone with myopia to hold the fine print closer to their eyes than they can read. A myopic person can see clearly close up, but only to a point, where it finally gets blurry if you bring it any closer. Hold it well into that blurry area, and start straining to see it, while keeping a view of an eye chart in the background. You may be surprised what happens.

Maybe someone can dig up a quote in Perfect Sight Without Glasses or a Better Eyesight magazine describing this further. Bates mentioned it only in passing in Ch 17. Of course, personal experiences like those above are even better, and I'd be particularly interested in hearing them on this method.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Thanks for taking my post into consideration, David. Smile

But what if one eye is OK and the other one is myopic. Wouldn't the healthy eye get hyperopia? :-\
The closest distance at which I can read fineprint is about 3.5 inches and farthest 7 inches. My fineprint is not of high quality and were printed at fontsize=2 as a word document using an inkjet printer. When I tried to read it from around 3 inches ( and 2.5) I got a nasty headache and my distance vision got more blurred. Maybe I should experiment with this again.

Frequently I hold the print slightly farther away from the distance at which I can read without guessing ( it is slightly out of focus) which is about 8 inches. At this distance I move over the blur without actually straining to see ( means without staring) and more often than not I can read the letters at 8 or 9 inches after 5 minutes of reading. But the effect is temporary and after 10 minutes I can read from only 7 inches. I believe that it is possible to progressively improve eyesight by reading fineprint out of focus ( and not fully blurred) . Sometimes I fail to shift enough and stare instead and this causes the letters to get more blurred.
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:Thanks for taking my post into consideration, David. Smile

But what if one eye is OK and the other one is myopic. Wouldn't the healthy eye get hyperopia? :-\

Put a mask on ur healthy eye.
I think the problem with that approach is that people become myopic doing this in the first place. To be more exact: they read at close distance for some time and then look at the far distance and still strain, the strain continues. I personally was never successful with reading fine print, meaning I haven't noticed any improvement. Looking into the distance, on the other hand, always seem to bring some relief and my vision always becomes better, even if only for a few seconds.
I think this way. Dr.Bates says that vision under adverse conditions always strains the eye initially but once you get acclimatized it is actually beneficial. Fineprint too close to the eyes is an adverse condition and may initially worsen distance vision. But as you practice more you may end up improving your distant vision as David has said. The samething is true of sun gazing, bright lights and glare, dim light, reading in a moving vehicle and other conditions that adversely affect vision even for healthy eyes. It certainly needs some mental courage to try an approach that initially lowers vision, We always want instant results. Adverse conditions demand the eyes to relaxinorder to see, thus forcing subconscious relaxation but may carry you through a period of intense discomfort when the eyes still try to adapt.
People think that they get myopic by doing close work, but that isn't quite right. Repeat my experiment described in the original post, with your finger and a distance chart on the wall, or even a near chart with diamond type and a distance chart. I'll describe it in more detail.

Sit at a distance from the chart where you'll be able to read additional letters if you see it a little more clearly. Hold your finger up in front of you. Have a finger of your right hand up almost in line with your chart, or just below it or something, so that when you look at your finger, you'll be able to tell quickly if the chart begins to appear clearer. Cover your left eye with your left hand. Bring your right finger close to your right eye, until it's too close to focus on. Make an effort to try to focus on your finger. Try to force your eyes to focus on it. Do you notice the distance chart briefly becoming a little clearer while you're making this effort? Keep repeating this for a few minutes, and with the other eye. Share with us what happens.

You could also try the reverse - Look at letters on the chart that appear blurry and try to force your eyes to focus on it, and see if your finger briefly appears to be clearer at some point while you're doing so.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
hi,

When i was testin this exercise out, i didnt really understood what you meant Smile . Sorry to ask, but when u strain to see ur finger at very close range, do u try notice the backround/snellen chart clearing right AFTER you've looked ar the finger? Or do u notice it with periphery vision(Opposite to Central fixation- which is probaly wrong) ??
harold08 Wrote:hi,

When i was testin this exercise out, i didnt really understood what you meant Smile . Sorry to ask, but when u strain to see ur finger at very close range, do u try notice the backround/snellen chart clearing right AFTER you've looked ar the finger? Or do u notice it with periphery vision(Opposite to Central fixation- which is probaly wrong) ??

You notice it in your periphery. The chart should be directly behind your finger, so you might notice it clearer as you look at the edge of your finger, and look at it.

Dave
Site Administrator

Hi David and others,

In the 'Home Treatment' chapter of Better Eyesight Without Glasses, under the Central Fixation heading, Bates writes that:

Quote:Since small objects cannot be seen without central fixation, the reading of fine print, when it can be done, is one of the best visual exercises, and the dimmer the light in which it can be read, and the closer to the eye it can be held the better it is for you.

I had wondered over this paragraph because I wasn't sure what eye condition this exercise would help - I assumed it was for presbyopes or hyperopes - so I didn't try it.

As for deliberately looking at distance objects, my hunch is that it is good idea, even though it strains the eyes initially. The strain seems to be short lived, and it usually becomes possible to see that distant object very clearly, no matter how far away it is. I find this practice very relaxing, as long as I don't overdo it, and wouldn't be surprised if it ulimately helps the vision.

JW
Hi,
I didn't find any 'Diamant Type printing', but a very small book - about half the size of a small matchbox (3,3x2,5cm) - which contains parts of the bible. I don't think its really meant to be read, but the print is so clear, that I can read it (even my son (15) who has excellent eyes has some difficulties to do so).
When after reading for some time I looked at the eye-chart fixed at the wall in 10 feet distance, I was shocked to see it all blurry and didn't dare to continue.
On the other hand, when I read a text in normal print as far away from the eyes as possible (even slightly blurry) it always improves my sight temporarily.

Now I'm a bit upset. Is the print perhaps too small or is the smallest print possible the best for practice and I just didn't I read long enough? And is it better to take fine print as close to the eye as possible or (normal print) as far away as possible?

Did anyone practice reading fine print and did this really impove the sight?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3qlFE8EKTo

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now