MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Straining while asleep

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straining while asleep
What does Bates mention by straining while asleep? Can we strain if we're asleep?
Bates found in his research that people with normal sight produce errors of refraction while sleeping and those with imperfect sight increase their refractive errors during sleep. In other words, sleep does not rest the eyes, nor does proper use tire them. So the answer is that, strangely, even those with perfect sight almost always strain during sleep. From my personal experience, sleeping does not improve vision at all and just is a waste of time to me. If I'm really tired, however, and can't resist by swinging, palming, etc., then I do sleep. I do note that I have gone days without sleeping and felt just as rested if not more so than when I sleep. Of course, I try my best to swing, palm, and otherwise relax during the night. And I have a friend with normal sight who rarely sleeps at all due to college work, chores, etc.

In summary, I think it's a mistake to think that sleeping will help in your quest for perfect or improved vision.

Hope that helps.
How can we strain during sleep?

P.S. If you have normal sleep, not sleeping a day or even two won't tire you, especially if you are young, but in the long run it will. Take for instance me, I've got insomnia and I think that it's one of the worst things ever so be wary and do not neglect sleep, at least not incredibly much.
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:How can we strain during sleep?

The same way you do it while awake, and your muscles tense up.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I don't think I fully understand. When we are asleep we are unconscious so how can we strain?
Probably because your eyes are not shifting but staring in sleep? subconscious habits bloom to their potential while you are subconsious. That might explain why we strain in sleep. For me sleep is one of the worst period for my eyes - I almost always wake up with lower vision than my base level. And if I sleep during the day I have to spend the rest of the day with significantly lowered vision.
I knew that there are REM during sleep. Anything to do with them?
REMs are believed to be connected with dreams and they takeup usually a fourth of the total sleep at night. I think REMs are different from the minute saccadic movements characterstic of the healthy eye. Mere shifting is not sufficient to be free of eye strain - the normal eye has its built in rythmic pattern of shift which is haphazard in the defective eye. There is only one correct way to shift your eyes and see and if your vision is not perfect it means you already do it the wrong way. I believe that the healthy eye continues its normal shifting during sleep also. The abnormal eye functions abnormally in sleep too.
Any wrong thought causes strain. This is true during sleep as well.
Having a nightmare produces strain.
Sleeping in wrong position causes discomfort in the nerves, producing strain.
Breathing incorrectly creates discomfort, producing strain.
Strain is merely a reflection of discomfort of any sort.
The body needs sleep.
HGH And other hormones are released in larger amounts during sleep.
Notice if you catch a cold and dont sleep.
The cold lasts longer.
If you get a good nights sleep the body heals faster.
The body/sprit also aligns, strengthens its chi and other energies during sleep.
In theory the eye becomes more relaxed during non-REM sleep because there is simply nothing for it to see. If it's looking at a blank space, the eye stops trying to see, and the strain subsides. The problem occurs during REM sleep because your eye attempts focus on the images in your dreams, which is something that is impossible for it to do. This leads to considerable strain. This explains the fact that less sleep leads to slightly better eyesight - because REM periods get longer, the longer you sleep. However, this DOES NOT mean that you should reduce sleep time. Reducing sleep is not a solution, but simply avoids the problem. If you reduce strain in your waking life, in theory, the strain during REM sleep should be reduced as well - THAT is the solution.

Paul A
I'm like the opposite of you guys. I strain a great deal less when I sleep. waking up, I always have clearer vision.
Two questions:

1. On average, how many hours do you sleep each night? Less sleep usually means shorter REM durations, which leads to less strain (as explained above)

2. What time do you get up? If you get up before dawn, your pupils are dilated. You turn on the light (unless there is a bit of light on the horizon), the eye adjusts to brighter lighting levels and previously (closed eyelids), leading to the illusion of better eyesight.. If you get up late - around 9am in a brightly-lit room, you will probably have poorer eyesight as well..\
That's just my guess.

Paul
I think that eyes tend to get drier in sleep than when we are awake, especially when the weather is dry. Which is also one of the reasons for the poorer vision from sleep. Blinking several times after a sleep usually restores your normal baseline vision.

For me, I wakeup with the worst vision in the morning( probably 6/200) , peaking in the afternoon( 14/200) and again falling down significantly in the evening. ( 10/200). Depending on if I use the computer a lot the vision can vary greatly. If I dont touch the computer and practise the routines atleast an hour it remains steady high throughout the day and also wake up with better vision next morning. But such days when I avoid this machine is very rare. Occasionally I wakeup with a high in morning and I dont know why.
Ram Wrote:I think that eyes tend to get drier in sleep than when we are awake, especially when the weather is dry. Which is also one of the reasons for the poorer vision from sleep. Blinking several times after a sleep usually restores your normal baseline vision.

I think that is true. I always wake up with a dry, red right eye. The weather is very dry here in my city. It seems to return to normal and match my left eye after I do some acupuncture + 1 minute sunning.

My vision is better though after I sleep, much because when I do have a decent night's sleep I let go of some major strain that comes with my insomnia.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download