MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Dominant eye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dominant eye
I heard that when you watch TV and use the computer you use one eye more. My dominant eye seems to be my right eye. This is the eye that I always feel pressure on, the eye that is heavy, that is always tired, that sometimes hurts, that doesn't have enough tears and gets red (I even had blood spots one or two times). The left eye feels as light and normal as before, when I had normal vision. If I imagine strain on my left eye, nothing happens but when I imagine strain on my right eye it gets heavier. I can feel the strain on my right eye, on the respective muscles. Can you feel the strain in your eye/s?

The question is, can I switch the dominant eye? I thought that if I use my left eye more, my right one would let go of the strain and it would speed up my recovery.

But how can I do so? Is it a psychological thing (since I am right-handed) or is it just because of the position of my desk and TV?

This may be important because I have to spend a lot of time at the PC. Thanks.
What do you mean by blood spots in the eye? Was it Subconjunctival Hemmorage?
I think so. Something like that:

http://dnwallace.com/images/blog/eye1007.jpg

Just smaller. I got it from staying too late at the computer and tiring my eye. After that it hurt but it gone away with sleep.
What you got was probably only 'ordinary redness' if it went away with sleep. Subconjunctival Hemmorage is the bursting of a blood vessel in the eye and takes a few days to clear up. It is harmless unless it is frequent which may indicate some deeper issues with the eye or the general health. Your photo does look like a small hemmorage but it does not go away with sleep. It was probably only eye strain( or dry eye) due to computer work.
I used to get redness and a bit soar in the corner of my left eye when looking down 8 hrs day at close distances doing assembly work.
Poor posture.
Was also on alot of diet soda, coffee and stress.
Muscle tension in neck, eye affecting blood flow?
I got a different job with correct posture, less caffine, low stress and do not get this problem anymore.
I do have a small convergence, divergence problem in both eyes when under stress.
I do switching close and far, shifting, central fixation with both eyes, one eye at a time, both eyes again, relaxation and the problem is corrected.
I know a man that had very thick, strong eyeglasses.
Started complaining of pain in the eyes.
I suspected extreme eye muscle tension, increased pressure in his eyes from the glasses.
I had a hard time convincing him to stop use of the glasses.
It has become clear to me by now that I am myopic because I always feel pressure on my right eye. Tried some sleep hypnosis last night and today in the morning I got almost clear vision and didn't feel the pressure and strain on my right eye again. But now as I am siting at the computer it reaperead. What can I do about this? There must be something wrong as I am staying at the computer for the first time of the day for only 20 min. Anyone know anything about this 'eye dominance'?

And about the red spots, it didn't really go away with sleep as I try to remember. Actually I didn't quite sleep so great because of the pain on my right eye. It disappeared after two days actually.

Also, the conjuctival bag (don't know how it's called) on my right eye is always red, while the one on my left eye is of a different color.
It seems you are right for the wrong reasons.
It is true that your right eye is weaker because it produces more effort to see, but it's not true that your right eye sees more or that you are "using it more". A normal eye exhibiting normal visual habits, such as central fixation, does not get tired, but remains relaxed at all times. Once the eye starts practicing poor visual behavior, it quickly tires out and leads to strain and myopia.
If your left eye is less myopic then it is your dominant eye. Your right eye has poorer eyesight and strains a lot more to see, not because it "sees more". This condition develops because your mind uses the eyes differently, and I'm not sure why you would want to flip this so that your right eye would be dominant. Why don't you start practicing the Bates method and improve both?

As far as subconjunctival hemorrhage goes, it could happen for many reasons. Usually results from a sudden rise in venous pressure such as sneezing, choking, coughing, severe hypertension, or physical damage to the eye, such as LASIK. It typically doesn't need medical attention, and should clear up within 2 weeks. If it doesn't clear up, or happens often, go see a physician because it may be a side effect of a greater underlying problem. The difference in colors represents different stages of hemorrhage, so you shouldn't be alarmed. It usually changes colors and starts looking greenish or bluish like a bruise after a few days.

Hope that cleared some things up for you.
Paul A
Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul.

There is one more thing I would like to know though. "Staring" is a popular word in the Bates method. What does it exactly mean? Looking at a fixed distance for a period of time or looking at a set point for more than 1 second?
The second is true. Staring typically refers to fixing your eyes on a certain point as you try to see it. The eye must always move, and the absence of this motion, even for a second or two, causes strain.

Paul
Thanks again but would looking at a fixed close distance (computer) for a big amount of time cause strain? Many people recommend taking breaks every 5 minutes and look at the distance. I often forget about these breaks so I need some motivation.
no, that's garbage. If your eye practices proper visual habits, it DOES NOT GET TIRED - regardless if you maintain a certain focus distance. Unfortunately, eyes need to move, and focus needs to naturally shift (part of proper visual habits). It's good to take breaks - not every 5 minutes -, but you don't want to be sitting hours and hours looking at the screen without shifting focus. Such practice usually leads to staring and therefore, strain.

Paul
If the eye is used properly, the computer is more likely to help a myope than distant viewing. At nearby distances we see better than at the distance so more relaxed and clearer images make it to the brain which actually helps when you apply the technique of memory and imagination. Distant objects produce strained blurred vision which do not create relaxed frames in the brain. So though computer is a strain if you can somehow learn to relax while using it, each computer session will become a session of eye relaxing exercise. If you are working on computers all the day and you become relaxed at it you may never need to allot any special time for eye routines.

I have rarely ever seen people with good vision complain about the computer. Yet, some authorities in the office seem to believe that everyone needs to wear special protection glasses whule using it, use special ergonomic chairs, soft padding devices, cushions all over the place etc and each company spends a fortune on them every year. All these artificial devices only cause the body to depend on them and never help to improve your health.
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul.

There is one more thing I would like to know though. "Staring" is a popular word in the Bates method. What does it exactly mean? Looking at a fixed distance for a period of time or looking at a set point for more than 1 second?

Two years ago I was doing a project named 'Saccade Analyzer' for the University of Texas South Western Medical Centre in Dallas( dept of neurology). It was basically implementing an interface for a hardware device known as eyelink that measures eye movements which is monitored through a software panel and studied closely. Basically what it does is to measure imbalances between the saccades of the left and the right eye which is characteristic of patients with multiple sclerosis or other forms of optic neuritis. It is generally done on larger eye movements.

I did not know about Bates method at that time, but I had the chance to look at real time saccades of many healthy and unhealthy candidates. A typical saccadic movement for a healthy eye happened very frequently. I dont have the exact figures but it was of the order of a few milliseconds and I have seen plots where it was around 7 ms. Even when the eye moves horizontally, there are minute vertical movements during the shift which can be detected using the hardware ( see <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.eyelinkinfo.com/index.php">http://www.eyelinkinfo.com/index.php</a><!-- m -->).

Myopia was not part of the study. After learning about Bates I was quite eager to revisit the project and study in more detail but I was not too interested in it at that time and moved over to another work in only three months time. If I get a chance, I am going to study saccades of myopes with respect to people with normal vision and also study them after a session of Bates relaxing routines which can help establish an objective evidence( do people have normal saccades during clear flashes and abnormal otherwise?). Myopia is not considered as a defect serious enough to warrant any research by the mainstream - all they do is to put glasses or do Lasik and assume that myopia has been effectively treated. I dont think the doctors have a clue about how seriously high myopia affects the quality of life and glasses do very little to resolve them.

This is how a typical saccade plot looks like -
Event Type is a type of study
Amp is the amplitude of the saccade.
Vel is the velocity of the saccade at a given instant
AB/AD measures the imbalance factor
Delay is the time lag before the eye starts to shift from one object to another

*********************ALL*****************

Event Type L20 centrifugal #=4

Amp L 21.69 0.96 0.044 Final position
R 17.12 0.85 0.050
AB/AD 1.27 0.04 0.033

Vel L 470.20 79.29 0.169