MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Central fixation + shifting = inseparable ??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Central fixation + shifting = inseparable ??
Hi all,
This is my first post here.
I will depressed myself If I tell my myopic story.
In short,
I was OS: -0.75 OD:-0.5 .
Now ,heavily myopic OS: -10 someting OD: -8 someting .Including astigmatism/cylindric prescription.
Really dont give a damn about the actual number now.

Currently I wear original prescribed glasses only for critical work long distance vision like driving ,etc.
I have a pair of under correction glasses though which I use most of the time for close work when my bare eyes can't read (Like now, in front of computer).
Believe me, I hate glasses more than you think... But I'm kinda dependent with it and I want to change that!
Wearing less since knowing this kind of natural vision stuff.

Anyway, My first question, Should I do central fixation while (subtle/obvious)shifting and vice versa?
I tend to strain if I do fixed central fixation.
Man, bates book is hard to understand ! and I'm not a native english speaker either.
MacCracken's easing up a bit about CF but still I need explanation
using plain english language in this forum. Hope someone can help.
Tnx!
Quote:Anyway, My first question, Should I do central fixation while (subtle/obvious)shifting and vice versa?
I tend to strain if I do fixed central fixation.
In my experience, I did not have much success trying to achieve central fixation simply by reading about it and thinking I can make it happen. It is too easy to strain the eyes in the beginning trying to get CF. Try the big swing. Do it often and for extended periods (20min-30min-45min). See if you can notice oppositional movement and then see if you noticed the more relaxed way your eyes are when oppositional movement is observed. Eventually, sooner or later, you will pick up a feeling for central fixation and how to let your eyes do it. But, at first, the temptation when striving for CF is to grip and force the eyes. No good. Tongue
Try to practice CF while reading a book - try to imagine the halos around the letters. Dont attempt CF on blurred images at a distance because it is not easy. You need to first improve your eyes by resting the eyes- Real CF can be attempted only when your vision improves, probably to atleast 20/70.

It is too tempting to try CF on far off objects but it is more likely you will only strain. While practising at a distance just practise conscious shifting, CF will come on its own later. CF can be attained but cannot be practised.

Like you I hate glasses and I threw them away three months ago after wearing them for twenty years. Like you I had v high prescription glasses ( - 8.5). Now my vision has improved very much but there is still a long way to go. I no longer need any glasses for computer use at 30 cm. I dont do any activity that requires good vision for the past three months.

it is good that you are now aware of the dangers of glasses and you have come to the right place. Dont ever wear the original prescription because seeing sharply with glasses is the worst thing you can do to your highly myopic eye. Weaker glasses are somewhat ok but even this could be a problem( some people have had vision improvement by using progressively weaker glasses but still this may not be a good idea)
I'm glad you brought this up! I'm still new to the Bates Method and have been finding that shifting and central fixation are very closely linked also. What I've been trying to do is focus on a small point and to shift to another, noticing the apparent movement (or swing) as I move my eyes. However, I don't try to focus on one point for any length of time, I constantly move my eyes around what I'm looking at and notice it 'move' as all but the point I'm focusing on becomes less distinct. As a myope, this is easier for me to do at the near point, but even at a distance and in poor light I find I can shift and produce a swing in the same way when looking at points on the biggest letters or shifting from the left to right hand sides of the small lines which appear blurred.

This is how I've been trying it, but bear in mind that I have yet to achieve what I would call a true clear flash, so listen to the others who have already had success with this method. I'm hoping they can educate me too!
I must first say that as a person who still has poor vision I am not really in a position to actually tell others how exactly to do these techniques. Had I been doing them perfectly I would have been cured by now. Still I do answer questions for which I think I know the answer( based on whatever experiences I have had) and sometimes I maybe wrong. It is my hope that if I go wrong others would correct me and that way I would know how to improve my own knowledge of the subject which wil accelerate my own progress towards getting good vision.
Learn what central fixation is, then just let it occur naturally as the eyes, visual attention shifts/moves from object to object, part to part on objects.
The eye (eyes) are always moving from point to point, moving that small center of the visual field from object to object, part to part on objects.
When the eye looks at a object, it shifts from point to point on the object/parts of the object, then shifts from a point on that object to a point on a new object and immediately moves point to point on the new object.
The point is the center of the viusal field and is always moving.
The exact center of the viusal field is very small, the size of the end of a pin, produced by the fovea centralis in the center of the eyes retina and produces clearer than 20/20 vision, fine detailed vision and bright color.
When you see with this point, moving it on the object, and from object to object, the clarity of the outer central area and peripheral field also improve resulting in the entire viusal field being clear.
The central field will always be clearest.

Becoming immobile, stiff, eyes not moving when placing the object, point you are looking at in the center of the viusal field will cause staring, strain and blur.
Let the eyes, center of the visual field move.
See the viedo of the moving soda bottle top in the happy hag Bates method viedo on you tube or go to her web site; http://www.happysight.co.uk
Tnx for the helpful replies.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download