MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
new terminology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new terminology
We all, I hope, try to avoid the word "exercises" when talking about what we do with the Bates Method. But what do we say? "I finally found the Bates Method technique that works for me!" Awkward! So what then should we call it? "Practice"? Boring! I propose we come up with the perfect word to describe the use of the Bates Method, even if it is just a word we use in conversing with other Batesers.
My own offering would be alterative.

Alterative
adj.

1. Tending to alter or produce alteration.
2. Tending to restore to normal health.

n. A treatment or medication that restores health.
-American Heritage Dictionary

Maybe as a verb, too: " This morning, after breakfast, I did alteratives for 45 minutes. 30 minutes palming and 15 minutes reading mouse print." O0

Anybody got a better one?
Dear Otto,

Why not use the term "change" of refractive status, and combine that
with your Snellen reading.

Thus, you can say that, before I stated with Bates (or any other method) I confirmed
my Snellen at 20/70 (Functional vision).

My refractive STATUS was -1.25 diopters.

(Following the 1913 study of Bates -- the only SCIENTIFIC study ever conducted.)

I found that, after six months, I cleared my Snellen to pass the legal DMV test,
read 3/4 inch letters at 20 fee.

For OBJECTIVE verification, I went down to the DMV and passed THEIR test.

So now, on that basis, I have trashed my minus lens.

You can do this on your own, or with the i-blindness staff.

Best,

Otis
Alterative is a pretty rare word. I haven't heard it before. I think it would cause more confusion. I use the word exercise because one meaning of exercise is:

Quote:something done or performed as a means of practice or training: exercises for the piano.

People still try to give it a meaning of bodily or mental exertion by saying things like "eye exercises" or "exercising the eyes". I think it's just a matter of avoiding those phrases.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
David Wrote:Alterative is a pretty rare word. I haven't heard it before. I think it would cause more confusion.
David, that's why your posts are so understandable and pragmatic. Smile
I understand what you are saying, but there is no denying the associative power of "exercise", certainly for those new to Bates. It's got strain just oozing from it. What if there was a word used that set Bates apart from all the programs that actually describe eye strengthening exercises? Maybe I'm being an idealist. Maybe I'm just trying to have a little fun. Wink
Maybe if you dont like the word exercise you can call it 'eye restoration', 'eye rejuvenation' or 'effective eye utilization'
otto Wrote:What if there was a word used that set Bates apart from all the programs that actually describe eye strengthening exercises?

That is revolutionary! Smile The Bates Method is, in its energy core, very different from other programs. We're UNIQUE. I would be proud to start using "alterative" even though I never heard of it!
I tried to think of another word to use, and I am considering "eye breaths"-- relaxing refreshment for the eyes. --As in, "After using the computer for several hours, I looked into the foggy distance and took my eye breaths."
I usually say "sessions". Just because exercise means to work out, or strengthen (to me). Tongue
So, if I'm talking to someone I say something like, "I did a 10 minute palming session."
Or I've used vision therapy too. "I did 30 minutes of vision therapy today." ;D
There is a precarious walk between finding more precise words and placing yourself further outside of the normal and respectable. (i.e.: doing strange, dubious health practices that are not accepted by the mainstream and having a weird lexicon to go with it.) Nevertheless...
summonsprettypeace Wrote:I tried to think of another word to use, and I am considering "eye breaths"-- relaxing refreshment for the eyes. --As in, "After using the computer for several hours, I looked into the foggy distance and took my eye breaths."
Interesting. The breath and use of the eyes have so much in common. Both can be used incorrectly, with tenseness which leads to degradation of health and a loss of the experience of really being. Both suffer when you try to control them. They are also linked; when one is operating correctly the other benefits.
Diana Wrote:I usually say "sessions". Just because exercise means to work out, or strengthen (to me). Tongue
I like that. Very practical. If only it could be used as a verb. I don't know why I'm so attached to finding a verb! Tongue
Thanks for all the posts so far. This is fun!
RAM, all your phrases were dead on!
otto Wrote:This is fun!
One of my favorite threads here! Good idea!
This is a fun topic Smile

I have to admit, though, I prefer the boring side on this one and use the word 'method'. It conveys that I'm doing something to train my eyes, and can imply something continuous.

I agree with the otto, and don't use the word exercize, because it seems to imply that the technique used ends there. The point is learning good habits by means of a _method_ which can be applied to most activities that people do.

For example, say the method swinging seems to help me. I don't see it as an exercize like 'I'm going to swing for 5 minutes every day'. I may practice it consciously by swinging 10 minutes in the morning, but I can then apply what I learned the whole day. I see it as a method that I use the whole day while walking, sitting, talking, etc.

best wishes to you all!

By the way, I now experience clear eyesight longer and longer. My baseline accuity seems to be about 20/70 indoors (was 5/200 at beginning) it fluctuates between 20/50 and 20/100. I usually experience about 30 minutes a day of 20/40 or better eyesight a day while walking or riding my bike. In the mornings for the first hour I can see 20/50 or better.
Some new words.

I know we will all use the word "cure" -- and if you clear your Snellen
from 20/70 to pass the DMV (read 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet), then
in a sense you have "cured" your vision.

But! Everytime you use the word "cure" you are ASSUMED to be
"practicing medicine". Then the OD is insulted because you
can't possibly be smart enough to "practice medicine" and
"cure" your vision.

This is why some Bates leaders have had formal charges
filed against them in court -- for "practicing medicine"
with out a license.

This is the reason why I will never use the word "cure" to describe
successful Snellen clearing.

I say this to protect anyone who supports you with Snellen clearing -- including
David. That is why I think we must find a "different" word that "cure".

Second-opinion best,

Otis
The first hour of the morning is the worst for me. I wake up usually at 10/200. Within an hour it goes up to 20/200. I see best after 9 am but vision drops dramatically in the evening, but usually have a surge after 9 pm. And when I go to sleep my vision is at my best for the day but somehow wake up with poor vision in the morning. This shows I am straining in sleep. Over the course of a day my vision usually varies between 8/200 to 20/100 with a baseline close to 20/200, a five fold ratio. After sunning my vision is around 20/70 for several minutes.
Actually I don't like the word "cure" either, but for a slightly different reason. When people say that they want to cure their eyesight, it sounds like they want something to fix them, like a miracle cure. But it isn't about applying a cure at all. It's at a deeper level than that. It's about standing up and taking responsibility for the fact that you have caused and are continually causing your own problems, and addressing the situation by learning to handle things differently.

That's why I have no interest anymore in addressing people who are skeptical about the process or who expend the time or energy to blame a method or exercise for being ineffective and for ultimately causing their grief. If someone is going to expend any time or energy in blaming something other than himself for his current problems, he simply doesn't currently have the sense of personal responsibility that I think is necessary to reverse long-standing vision problems. This sense of responsibility is important not because you are without help but because nobody can help you as much as you can help yourself. The words we use are very telling about our actual views. Some new members arrive here and from what they say or how they say it they appear to be quite helpless, not only needing to acquire information but pretty much needing someone to do the work for them because they do not feel powerful or capable enough.

Ultimately it's a very simple thing: stop straining your eyes. I like to mention that as a reminder when I feel like I might be giving the impression that this is a daunting and complicated process.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Or of course, if anyone wanted to freak out a Bates skeptic, you could use the term "healing rituals". Tongue

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now