MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Musings on Vision

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musings on Vision
Hello,

Over the last few weeks I have consumed and digested a large amount of both empirical and anecdotal information on the Bates Method. I have come to my own conclusions which I would like to share, however believe first it would be beneficial to describe a bit about myself, as I believe this has barring on my conclusion.

I work primarily as an engineer. I have had and continue to have formal training in a specific mindset, and method of "data acquisition". I have found that "learning" is not taught, and that essentially mental data entry is.

Years ago I became interested in the possibility of "free energy". Creating a device which outputs more energy than it consumes. This contradicts the laws of Thermodynamics and gets you labeled a heretic in the scientific community with incredible speed. We are a world that believes in entropy, the slow heat death of all that we see into eventual nothingness. However through history, there have been inventors who have flown in the face of convention and created the impossible. One of such people was Nicola Tesla who created the Pierce Arrow electric auto, which ran continuously needing now fuel. This was aside from creating the alternating current electrical grid we rely on, the AC electric motor our industry depends on, Fluorescent lights we use to see, Transmission of POWER without wires, etc.... Almost all of these ideas were created when convention and "science" said it could not be done, yet we now rely on a few of his simplest inventions for our daily standard of living.

Tesla accomplished his goals, by being knowledgeable in many areas, and applying knowledge in alternate areas of thought to the problems at hand. He did not just draw on electrical knowledge to solve electrical problems, he drew on philosophy, mechanics, language, the occult, and most of all his own intuition, insight and innate understanding. All of us have this power.

I have achieved the goals my mind has deemed worthy to pour my energy into. Every time without fail. I have found my "free energy" and realized the opposite of entropy, syntropy, and have used it to defy the laws of thermodynamics.

I have recently set my sights (pun intended) on improving my eyesight. I have read many successes many failures, and many works in progress. Much like in the "free energy movement" there are those that attempt endlessly and fail, even though they have followed anthers instructions to the letter and achieved no results. The problem is, many people forget to think for themselves, and instead are drawing upon the "do as told" technique taught by our education system.

I have improved my eyes by a measurable amount in 1 week, and continue to do so. I hope I can describe my realizations well, and hopefully inspire a few souls. Always remember, that you will succeed at what you pour your energy into, if your goal is in focus constantly, it will come to you without effort. Now...

I have Myopia.

I have noticed that while I am viewing an object, I have DEFINITE tendency to attempt to view more than a finite point of infinitesimally small space. The very center of vision should hold our attention, Yet I believe many have taught themselves to take an area (length times width) into consideration, rather than a simple zero dimensional point, which is how we should view the world.

Try this: look at the beginning and end of this sentence. From the "T" to the period.

Do this very quickly shifting from one to the other very quickly. Now stop. Pay attention to where you are looking the second you stop. Are you looking at a point on the T? on the period? or are you viewing the area which encompasses the T or period? I found myself initially looking at an area. If I am shifting my vision according to the bates method, from one point to the next, am I sure I am really looking at a point when I shift from one place to the next? Or am I moving from one area of interest to another, never focusing on a point.

Another example of this can be seen by examining a period, or a speck of dust on a desk, or other background surface. Initially I viewed the period, or speck, and said to myself, "now I am focused on a central point, i am using my central fixation. Then came the realization. The period had a shape. It was round. I could view any point along its circumference as a point in and of itself. The ink around the period was jagged as it had seeped into the fibrous porous paper. Each paper fiber which had ink, had a length, and a tip to it. These were minute details which became apparent once I stopped viewing the period as an area of interest and rather started to look for an ever smaller and smaller dimensionless point.

This can and should be extended into daily viewing practice. For example I may view a piece of paper. I know it has edges which lead into a corner. I know what the corner should look like, I can imagine its sharp point. However what I see initially is not this. It is a blurry edge, leading into a blurry non-descript corner. Now I have noticed that I am viewing the entire blur to be the edge, not a finite point on the blur. Upon closer examination I notice that I can see about 2-3 separate edges superimposed. These make my blur. As I walk up to the edge, i see which one is the one I perceive to be the real edge, and which are the spurious secondary images. I now came to the realization that I actually had a defined edge to see, but I was trying to pay attention to 3 similar images at once.

Since I know what the edge should look like, I can remember it, I can visualize it, I can draw it in my mind, i can pick the edge which most closely resembles this from my blur of an edge. I can now focus on this. letting the other spurious images fall away from my attention. Why should I focus on something that is unwanted? and if I stop focusing on them will they disappear leaving me with a clear defined edge and good vision?

Try this. Look at a busy wall or desk. Try to take mental stock of all that is there. Now close your eyes and try to recall the image perfectly. Each item. Open your eyes and look again. You will probably find that you forgot about many items. There were not black holes where they used to be in your mental picture, rather you filled them in so that you did not notice their lack of presence. Our memory plays a very large role in what to remember, what to forget, what to fill in and erase etc.

If I look at an edge, and see 3 and some blur, can I focus on 1 and have my mind "fill" in the rest? Why not? If it is real to me, does it matter if I am told it cannot be done?

Most of the exercises are logical progressions from one to the next. For example, to view an object in its entirety, using central fixation, one must view many many points, and use the mind to complete the picture. You can never view an object in its entirety without "swinging and swaying" if you can, then you are not using central fixation.

Here is an interesting story, which is related. I wanted to improve my health. I believe that a healthy individual stands tall, and that sickly lazy people slouch, or are overcome by gravity. As we progress through our lives passing from youth, vitality, decline, then death, we can correlate posture to each stage. I concluded that posture is an indicator, or perhaps a cause of vitality. Which came first the chicken or the egg? I don't care, I decide that they are two sides of the same coin, and affecting one will affect the other. Am I wrong, I don't care what you tell me, I believe I am right. I never imagined good posture, that forces you to contort your body to a preconceived ideology, which may or may not be correct. Rather i imagined being pulled upwards. I was lighter. My head was pulled upwards gently and naturally. My back straightened. My breathing regulated. My stomach became tighter, then relaxed. I have been doing this for about a month. I have noticed my eating habits change, my posture became accostomed to a new stance of vitality. I felt an incredible increase in energy. I lost 10 pounds (I am not a heavy person, I am 5'9" and weigh 175 currently, with a muscular build), and my abs started to show. My shoulder posture changed, my walking style changed, and I felt that I commanded my life.

My Fiance thinks I have been working out, due to my "new" body. I had friends over for for the weekend, and went to the pool. One friend who I have known since grade school remarked "Wow, have you been working out? you have not looked like that since you were wrestling in high school". I replied that I had been doing alot of heavy lifting at work and smiled. Reality of the situation was, I had simply changed my mindset. I came to a conclusion I believed in, not just had faith in, but could explain in detail WHY i thought it would work. Then I focused my time and effort on it until it became automatic. If it ever became forced, I rested.

All of my failings in life have been of my own hand. All of my success I have borne out of my creative mind.

I have made it habit to read masterful works by masterful individuals. Mediocrity is self-inflicted. Genius is self-bestowed. I believe Dr. Bates was extraordinary....By his own hand. The following quote is evidence of his thoughtful, insightful, and brilliant nature.

"You may force facts into a child's mind by various kinds of compulsion, but you cannot make it learn anything. The facts remain, if they remain at all as dead lumber in the brain.They contribute nothing to the vital processes of thought; and because they were not acquired naturally, and not assimilated, they destroy the natural impulse of the mind toward the acquisition of knowledge, and by the time the child leaves school or college as the case may be, it not only knows nothing, but is, in the majority of cases, no longer capable of learning."
Great post! I like how you specifically detailed a specific problem in applying central fixation (multiple images, which one to look at?) and how you worked through the confusion to identify the perceptual mindset necessary to treat/prevent the problem. The basic idea of looking at one point at a time sounds simple, but in practice it's a matter of coming up against problems like that and learning the best way to deal with them. It's easy for us to mislead ourselves because of other concepts that we have inaccurate conceptions of (which can get passed on by various authors) and think we need to incorporate to avoid "staring" or trying to be "relaxed". The concept of intently looking for smaller and smaller details is often overlooked or never communicated well to people to begin with, and lately I've been thinking that in that is the main issue keeping people from clear vision. I'm slowly writing some stuff down when the mood strikes me, and soon I hope to post some of it here for review by you and others before doing some major updates to the main articles on the site to better clarify these things.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
A great addition to the site, you're just the kind of person I've been looking for. You understand the subjectivity of the matter.
Essentially, you'll achieve improvements in a significantly short amount of time.
I'm sure you will be welcomed by others too UNLESS you decide to write even longer posts. ;D
armagdn03 Wrote:"You may force facts into a child's mind by various kinds of compulsion, but you cannot make it learn anything. The facts remain, if they remain at all as dead lumber in the brain.They contribute nothing to the vital processes of thought; and because they were not acquired naturally, and not assimilated, they destroy the natural impulse of the mind toward the acquisition of knowledge, and by the time the child leaves school or college as the case may be, it not only knows nothing, but is, in the majority of cases, no longer capable of learning."

What is he saying with this ? My first years of school were disgusting. I always had difficulties with concentration, reading and never liked the teacher because when i showed difficulties she beat me. At this time i started using glasses. Now i feel more confident with myself and happy but my vision doesn't improve. It is associated with my childhood ?
DaniFixe Wrote:My first years of school were disgusting. I always had difficulties with concentration, reading and never liked the teacher because when i showed difficulties she beat me. At this time i started using glasses. Now i feel more confident with myself and happy but my vision doesn't improve. It is associated with my childhood ?

Pity. I thought you've read the topic 'Vice of Concentration' but I guess I was wrong.
I have read that topic and it help me. I correct what i was doing wrong. But what has to do with this topic ?
Trying to concentrate leads to bored mind which leads to bored eyes which leads to reduced vision which leads to reduced performance which leads to poor academics which leads to unhappy teachers which leads to teachers disliking you which leads to you getting beat bad which leads to more reduced vision which leads to you needing glasses which leads to even more reduced vision which leads to strain which leads to strained life which leads to false happiness which leads to you not gaining any improvement.

Get it? Big Grin
DaniFixe Wrote:
armagdn03 Wrote:"You may force facts into a child's mind by various kinds of compulsion, but you cannot make it learn anything. The facts remain, if they remain at all as dead lumber in the brain.They contribute nothing to the vital processes of thought; and because they were not acquired naturally, and not assimilated, they destroy the natural impulse of the mind toward the acquisition of knowledge, and by the time the child leaves school or college as the case may be, it not only knows nothing, but is, in the majority of cases, no longer capable of learning."

What is he saying with this ? My first years of school were disgusting. I always had difficulties with concentration, reading and never liked the teacher because when i showed difficulties she beat me. At this time i started using glasses. Now i feel more confident with myself and happy but my vision doesn't improve. It is associated with my childhood ?

I believe here Dr. Bates is referring to the method of learning as a parallel to seeing. In school we are taught to learn within the confines of a pre-defined, traditional structure without regard to natural curiosity. Often facts, or data are taught...(what are the nine planets, how many electrons in the first valence shell....what are the fundamental colors of printing....) Seldom taught is the KNOWLEDGE or method of thinking, or even for that matter the thrill of understanding and investigating! Data is useless unless interpreted within a logical framework, which is often let out, which is unnatural. The original creators of our many facts, came to these through an understanding of the process which entails them, yet we are only expected to learn the results...pitiful.
I think i get it lol...and i think i should read over and over until handle the matter. The exercises are simple,but understand how they work is the hardest. Thanks for the help 2xtreme2fit
2xtreme2fit Wrote:Trying to concentrate leads to bored mind which leads to bored eyes which leads to reduced vision which leads to reduced performance which leads to poor academics which leads to unhappy teachers which leads to teachers disliking you which leads to you getting beat bad which leads to more reduced vision which leads to you needing glasses which leads to even more reduced vision which leads to strain which leads to strained life which leads to false happiness which leads to you not gaining any improvement.

Get it? Big Grin

BWA HA HA HA HA HA, great post!
armagdn03 Wrote:In school we are taught to learn within the confines of a predefined, traditional structure without regard to natural curiosity. Often facts, or data are taught...(what are the nine planets, how many electrons in the first valence shell....what are the fundamental colors of printing....)
This method of "education" is uniformly prevalent in my country.

Quote:Seldom taught is the KNOWLEDGE or method of thinking
It would be a lot of better if the concept came second to application.

Quote:The original creators of our many facts, came to these through an understanding of the process which entails them,
Its a shame we do not carry any knowledge of practical worth. We are NOTHiNG more than hollow shells with theories.
Here is an additional thought / realization I had during this past week of discovery.

Many times when I am absorbing information, and learning, I read a profuse amount of information from various sources in an attempt to see the coin from every angle. However I have noticed that reading, in and of itself is one of the most incorrectly accomplished activities we can do. I know this has been written about, but try to take notices of how obviously you try to view an entire word without noticing the details of the lettering.

When reading in a book, I now try to do the following: Take note many of the corners present. Note any imperfection created by the printing process, slight variations along the edges of letters etc. This will slow your reading down considerably but force you to pay attention to detail.

When reading on the computer: Notice how the letters are made of of pixels, you can see that the letters have a blurry edge by nature, but the pixels appear sharp. Look at how the pixels create corners, round edges etc. Pay attention to details! It is interesting how you can look at the corner of an N and see the whole word "Nothing".

I have also found it best for me (myopic person) to practice my eyesight at "nearish" distances (yes that is a quantifiable distance in my book) If I try to view things at too far a distance the blur I see around corners and edges is much to un-focused to pick out any semblance of an edge. At medium distances I can start to pick out edges, and I believe this is the optimal situation to learn. You can focus in on your most defined contrasting edge, then focus on points along it. Ignore the spurious images that make up the blur, and note if you can make them disappear. When you are up close to read or do detailed work, don't forget to use your central fixation, while moving your head slightly. It is tempting to forget all you have learned when looking at things up close because you can see well at this distance.
What I've learned is, Central Fixation is an Achievement & its reward is perfect vision. We do the rest for the sake of gaining C.F. & consequently normal sight. It cannot be practiced but only be lost & re-gained.
2xtreme2fit Wrote:What I've learned is, Central Fixation is an Achievement & its reward is perfect vision. We do the rest for the sake of gaining C.F. & consequently normal sight. It cannot be practiced but only be lost & re-gained.

Thanks for the advice, I learn more and more the more interpretations I hear, and I think you are correct.
armagdn03 Wrote:
2xtreme2fit Wrote:What I've learned is, Central Fixation is an Achievement & its reward is perfect vision. We do the rest for the sake of gaining C.F. & consequently normal sight. It cannot be practiced but only be lost & re-gained.
Thanks for the advice, I learn more and more the more interpretations I hear, and I think you are correct.
And here is one increasingly prevalent way that C.F. is lost (or prevented from developing) to begin with: NeoNatal Eye Antibiotics. Look it up. Think about it. Kick yer shoes off. Set a spell. Y'all come back now, ya hear? (Jed Clampett, The Beverly Hillbillies)
8) O0

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now