MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
News article: New treatments for myopia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News article: New treatments for myopia
What do you all think? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11285011">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11285011</a><!-- m -->
Summon-Pretty-Peace Wrote:What do you all think? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11285011">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11285011</a><!-- m -->
Okay, great article, but not for any of the specious reasoning it propounds. Rather, it is great because of the illustration of an elongated (so-called 'myopic') eyeball. It shows that the short-focusing elongated eyeball is only long at the front of the eye - i.e., the cornea (and of course they omit any reference to the necessary focusing tear film). All other previous illustrations I have seen did not make that clear or clear enough.
That illustration of front-eye elongation crystallized (!) for me some thoughts I've been having:
1. The term 'myopia' comes from ancient Greek where it meant 'closed eye'.
2. Observation and analysis have proven to me that my upper eyelids, and especially my worse-visioned left eyelid, have a tendency to 'droop'. (When I mentioned this to my mother on our recent trip she remarked that she had always noticed that about me!)
3. The drooping not only partially shades my pupils, but must also be partially squeezing the fronts of my eyes, causing a very subtle bulge.
4. I can counter the droop by consciously raising my eyebrows and lids, and seeing how long I can keep them raised. The effect when combined with Batesian shifting, blinking, etc. is improved distance and overall vision. If I smile it is even better. It probably makes me look like a startled deer caught in the headlights, but of course I don't care.
5. My theory of neonatal eye antibiotics-related nearpoint fixation disorder fits these facts. Of course there are probably plenty of other reasons a neonate could have for learning to keep its eyelids partially shut against a noxious stimulus.
Thanks, S-P-P!!!
Wink Smile :o

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now