MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
progress so far

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
progress so far
Hi, everyone. I just wanted to give an update. I learned about the Bate's method last spring and really started practicing it last June. My prescription was -5D in both eyes, and standing about 15 feet away from the Snellen chart, I couldn't even see the big E.

I haven't been really doing exercises at all actually. I have a one-year-old and don't have too many opportunities to devote to exercises. I find palming helpful but get bored after a few minutes so I do very short, mini-palming throughout the day when I notice straining. I have been spending a LOT of time without my glasses on because I had the summer off (I'm a teacher), and I think I've learned to really stop diffusing and practice centralizing all day long.

I started having clear flashes after about a week, and honestly, they were excrutiatingly painful at first. Actually, I think I had the best clear flashes during the first few days I had them because I was so fascinated by this astonishing improvement in sight that I endured much more pain than I probably should have. Now, my eyes sting a little and water when I have a clear flash, but I allow my eyes to tense up enough to make it go away before it gets too painful.

If I stand in front of a Snellen chart without a clear flash, I can now tell there's an E at the top, but it's not very clear. Still, that's better than not seeing an E at all. If I have a clear flash, I can read the fourth line.

During my clear flashes, I still see multiple images, but I've gotten used to it now and don't really worry about it. I think I'm pretty optimistic about this and definitely plan to do this for the rest of my life, especially since practicing good vision habits doesn't really take extra time out of my day.

Despite being optimistic, I do wonder if I ever will be able to function fully without glasses. I worry that my improvement will level off and never reach my goal. My vision is still quite blurry, and in between clear flashes, it seems almost as bad as when I started. Also, my blur zone doesn't seem to have changed at all. I still have to hold things pretty close to my face for them to be crystal clear. On a positive note, I can usually make myself have a clear flash at will. If I notice that my vision is particularly blurry, I'll take a deep breath and focus on relaxing the muscles around my eyes, and I'll have a clear flash. Nonetheless, I imagine that, if I get cured, it'll take a long time.

I wonder what percent of people that really devote themselves to this actually reach 20/40 or better vision.
Whoa! Clear flash at will! That's some mental control we are talking here.

Mine work the opposite way, after I've "trained" and frustrated of not getting any signs of progress, I loose all hope and forget the whole seeing business. Then I get the flash.
hereford_picnic Wrote:Whoa! Clear flash at will! That's some mental control we are talking here.

Mine work the opposite way, after I've "trained" and frustrated of not getting any signs of progress, I loose all hope and forget the whole seeing business. Then I get the flash.

With inner self awareness you can recreate that feeling, if you can't you have no inner self awareness.
hammer Wrote:
hereford_picnic Wrote:Whoa! Clear flash at will! That's some mental control we are talking here.

With inner self awareness you can recreate that feeling, if you can't you have no inner self awareness.

No, I cannot. Only inner self awareness can recreate it. The Lizzard, you know. If he's not mad at me.
I agree with hereford. No one actually needs 'inner self awareness' to improve their eyesight. Notice how hereford has accidental clear flashes that happen for no identifiable reason but seem associated somehow with a delayed response to Bates Methods training sessions. Just as no one needs to be 'self-aware' to have their teeth gradually straightened by invisalign braces, so also no one needs 'self-awareness' to straighten out their visual system. But we do need 'something'. That something has yet to be adequately defined.
JMartinC4 Wrote:...but seem associated somehow with a delayed response to Bates Methods training sessions.
Well actually, I know that the occurrences of the flashes don't have much to do with the training. They occur whenever. It's just that usually when it happens, my thoughts are somewhere pretty far, like I'm totally lost. It's like being totally in a fantasy of, say, the future. Me being rich or having a beautiful woman etc.

And with the training, it comes after frustration, but that must be true frustration. If I try to ride the frustration secretly, It doesn't happen. I can't fool the Lizzard, I just got to make him comfortable by leaving him alone.

And Martin, it's good to agree with you for a change. Big Grin
Yeah, well, so far no one wants to agree with me that neonatal eye antibiotics are the actual root cause of the worldwide increase in and progressive worsening of myopia. But they will someday.... Smile :Smile Tongue
Ok, I saw that topic of the antibiotics, but I thought it's a whole new area for me and I will need too much time to check it out. I'll get back to it, at first I'll fix my eyes. Wink
hereford_picnic Wrote:It's just that usually when it happens, my thoughts are somewhere pretty far, like I'm totally lost. It's like being totally in a fantasy of, say, the future. Me being rich or having a beautiful woman etc.

Do you think that your mind is more relaxed, or relieved, temporarily, of your daily stresses and anxieties when you are engaged in these imaginative situations?
arocarty Wrote:
hereford_picnic Wrote:It's just that usually when it happens, my thoughts are somewhere pretty far, like I'm totally lost. It's like being totally in a fantasy of, say, the future. Me being rich or having a beautiful woman etc.

Do you think that your mind is more relaxed, or relieved, temporarily, of your daily stresses and anxieties when you are engaged in these imaginative situations?
Yep. Touché. 8) That's the way to escape the illusion that some call "reality". But it's not really what I want, it just happens.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now