MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Farsighted and want to get rid of glasses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farsighted and want to get rid of glasses
Hi, my prescription at the moment is LE+2.25, RE +2.75 (lazy).  I have worn glasses since the age of 5 but don't know what my prescription was back then. I am now 25. I wear contacts the whole time but recently purchased distance glasses online and requested a prescription of LE+1.00  RE+1.25 in an attempt to improve my eyesight by not having my eyes so used to the strong contacts.  Will the reduced prescription distance glasses work for me?  I don't like glasses generally as they look too strong and thick on so I am happier with these thinner lenses. Would wearing minus lenses help? Would I become permanently short sighted though if I was to wear minus lenses? At least then the farsightedness would be gone and I wouldn't have to wear these thick wavy lenses. Please advise.
Dear Farsighted,

It think you would be greatly helped by Bates.

What is your distance Snellen.  I assume you
read 20/40 to 20/20 through your "plus" prescription.

Can you read your Snellen with a +1 diopter lens
on?

Can you read it with no plus on.

Why do you wear the plus all the time?

Can you quit using the plus for distance, and
just use it for reading?

Why did anyone recommend that you
wear the plus all the time?

Let us know. and we will help where we
can.

Otis
Hi,

I started wearing glasses around the age of 5 (don't know what prescription I had back then) I am now 25.  A few years after, optician said I had to wear them full-time. Nightmare for me as I have been anti-glasses all my life. Wore them on and off during my child hood (sometimes refused!) and got contacts when I was 15 and have worn them ever since. I can read the 3rd line from the bottom with no glasses or contacts and can kind of make out parts of the 2nd last line.  I didn't find that with the contacts reading the chart that much of a difference. Anyhow, saw someone talking about improving their farsightedness using minus lenses. Should I order a pair of -1 glasses?  Would that actually improve my prescription long term? Optician says it isn't really possible to improve my sight.  I mind trying out a few methods as long as I don't go blind ! Oh, without any power on my right eye, it turns in, so I'd have to wear a prescription on that anyway.  Thanks. 

Thank you.
Dear Farsighted,

Subject: Snellens are not consistent.

When you give me a line number -- I can not be certain
of your visual acuity.  But I suspect it
is good.  I think you are far better than 20/40,
(the DMV requirement) and probably at least
20/25 to 20/20.  (Reading 1/2 the letters passes
the line.

If you could, would you click here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html">http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/oph/ped/IVAC/IVAC.html</a><!-- m -->

And then "Display".  Pressing display again gives you
a new set of random letters.

If you pass the 20/40 line, you can get "must wear
glasses removed from you DMV license. 

You do not need a minus lens at all.

Because you eye have probably "adapted" to that
full time wear of a plus lens, it may take time
to stop wearing it.

I think you are a perfect candidate to use the
"relaxation" methods of Bates -- as described
by David.

So let us know your distant vision (Snellen), and
we will go to the next step to help you
"back out of" that plus lens.

Best,

Otis
Hi Otis,

I did the snellen test twice and sort of got different results each time but here they are anyhow:

1st time
RE 20/30 line 3/5 right and 20/25 line 1/5 right
LE 20/30 line 2/5 right and 20/25 line 0/5 right

Both eyes: 20/30 line 1/5 right 20/25 line 1/5 right

With Glasses (+1.00 LE, +1.50 RE) 20/30 3/5 right and 20/25 3/5 right

2nd time
RE 20/30 4/5 right and 20/25 0 right
LE 20/25 1/5 right
With the glasses 20/25 0 right

Disappointed minus glasses wouldn't work as would prefer to wear them as I think they are more socially acceptable than plus glasses especially my prescription and I would prefer to have very thin lenses.

Thank you for your time.
Dear Farsighted,

Thanks for providing your Snellen reading.

You would pass the DMV Snellen, which requires
that you read 20/40 (or better) with both
eyes open.

Alternatively, the requirement says "with the
better eye".

You pass in any event.

If you are driving a car, I would consider getting
this confirm so you are not required to wear
that plus while driving.

The purpose of Bates, and my purpose is to
get rid of DEPENDENCEY on glasses.

That means passing the DMV test -- which
you now have done.

The next issues is "comfort" while reading.

If you can read at computer screen distances,
and read books at 20 inches, (which I think you
can do) then there is no reason to be wearing
a plus lens -- at all.  (Unless you want to.)

In your work life, if on computers 8 hours a day -- just
that fact will reduce your "farsightedness" -- although
slowly.

So I would recommend NOT wearing that plus -- for
all distance activity.

And if you can do it -- not for near either.

If you need "comfort" while reading, I would
just buy some +1 to +1.25 diopters off the rack.

And always, I think Bates would be of considerable
value to you.

What do you think of this approach?

Best,

Otis
Thanks for your message Otis. As previously mentioned, I did buy some distance glasses.  You say try not using any plus but if I don't wear a prescription on my right eye it turns in straight away.  Would a low minus lens help in any way as it appeared to work for 'Bifocal' or is his case different to mine?  Or if I just wore a contact lens on one eye to make the lazy eye work - what prescription would I need to balance the eyes and which eye do I put the contact in? What do you think?

Thanks.
Dear Farsighted,

There is a "phoria" where an eye will turn in or turn out.

It is not clear exactly what you men by "turn it".

It this a "sometimes" thing, or does it always
turn.

It is noticible?  Did your parents remark about it?

Did you have an operation for it?

Do you have fusion -- see things with both eyes.

I know it is hard to discuss this issue -- but I have
had "eye-turn" -- and resultant "traning" and
operation.

I know that typically a "plus" is prescribed for
eye-turn.

But if you can control your eye-turn (with vision-training)
you might be able to get along with out the plus.

Otis
Hi Otis,

Thanks for your prompt responses.  My right eye turns in to my nose when my sight is uncorrected for a length of time or when I am tired. When i was young I had to wear a patch but didn't and my eyes straightened out themselves (without patch or glasses) but when I was in high school, my eye started to turn in again and that is when I decided to get contacts. If I ordered 0.50 minus lenses as Bifocal mentioned in this forum, do you think my plus prescription might reduce?

Thanks.
Dear Farsighted.

You have two SEPARATE issues.

1.  Eye turn (that I had)  One eye would "drift" out when
I was tired, or not paying attention.  And the other,

2.  Is that you are wearing a mild plus lens (that was
given to you because your eye "turned in" when you
were tired.

I know that EACH of us unique, so what I say -- might
not apply to you.

I was given Bates of eye-training.  In my opinion, that
saved my eyes.  I now control my eye-turn AT WILL.

I can "fuse" when I wish, and let either eye "go", by
intention, or just getting tired.  I have my own opinion
about WHY I developed this situation (as a 4, 5, and 6 years-old
child).

So for your eye turn I would recommend Bates methods -- and
I think may behavioral ODs would make the same
recommendation -- if you wish to ask.  It is intensive
and frustrating.

For your wearing of that mind plus -- I simply would
stop doing it.

I think Bates was correct about this issue for you.  Just
don't do it.

But that again must be your decision.

If it were me, and I could verify 20/40 or better for
distance -- then I would NOT wear that plus lens.

I would go pass the DMV (at 20/40), and get
any restrictions removed from my license.

Just my second-opinion.

Best,

Otis

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now